• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

motor limiter?

mrpike1973

hi 84 merc 9.8 i have a 14' alum boat about 125# when i'm at full throttle some times it feels like its missing once in a while. a called the dealer they said if i'm wide open it could be to fast so it kills a cylinder so it doesn't over rev. they told me to back off of wot just a little. doesn't do it that much but better. is this correct the boat is rated for 15 hp so i dont think its the boats to heavy thanks i have a 30 warranty and just want to fix any thing bad other wise it runs and starts like a million bucks thank you

thanks marine man. i brought it up there sat. they still say its a limiter i told them it doesnt have one they got quiet fast. so far i'm happy with them but i got my 6 hp evinrude there ran great then it shut it off wouldnt start again so i traded it back to them. after rowing i might add. any advice on how to deal with them. i dont want to be a jerk but i bought it at a marine dealer so i could get a warranty and service they havent jerked me yet but i dont want to be a pushover either thanks marine man very helpfull

Does it only act like this at full throttle? Does it idle smoothly, take off when you go from idle to full throttle? It sounds like a fuel or spark problem to me...

Perhaps you could offer to take one of their technicians for a ride and repeat what you're doing for him

marine_man

hi i took it to them they are saying that the motor is bigger than the boat. its rated for 15 hp it has a 9.8 on it. when 2 people are in it it doesn't do it. today on calm water alone i noticed it again they said that what is happening is the boat is very narrow and light if weight is not distributed right the prop can actually cavitate itself i think this makes sense would others agree. the boat weighs 125# and all i have is the fuel tank and an anchor. thanks for the help.

yes sorry i didnt quite understand what you meant. it doesnt seem to rev high. it feels like when your going fast in a boat in high waves sometimes when the motor comes out of the water slightly like the motor skips a beat but it does it in calm or regular water sorry i'm not really understanding the problem. its like it stops for a split second then resumes running just fine otherwise.

Then id say cavitation (ventilation) is not your problem.

When a prop is too close to the surface, it can pull air down into the blades. This obviously reduces the "grip" the prop has on the water, it revs because it slips and often u have to let up on the throttle and slow the boat. Missing, cutting out is not a symptom of ventilation, or cavitation as they are calling it.