• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Telephoto ?

Unless you are using a fast lens such as a f2.8 or f4.0 fixed aperture lens a 2x tele-converter will generally be poor performing or non performing at best both in focus speed and image quality. Tele-converters slow the lens by a couple of stops, making it effectively an f8, which is likely way too slow for the auto focus to even work. Even if you could get the lens to auto focus with a TC according to reviews I saw that lens suffers from significant vignetting beyond 135mm. Adding more glass by using a tel-converter will only make that considerably worse.

It is also possible that the back element of the lenses might be touching the front element of the tel-converter. All in all this likely will not be something you want to try, sorry.

I saw you recently acquired the Nikkor 55-300 zoom. I am contemplating getting a similar Cannon lens. Do you have any buyers remorse in finding it does not get you the level of zoom you thought it would?

My concerns with buying this length of lens is the apeture being limited at full zoom, and second, is 300 mm going to be enough length.

I have a crop camera so focal lengths are multiplied by 1.6, this changes the view to approximaely 480 mm but this will put me at a minimum apeture of 5.6. As such, I would need to up my ISO to get some low light photos and I have concerns regarding image clarity and detail.

I have a serious case of lens envy for those who get portrait quality photos of critters and I have to download and crop my photos to get close enough to fill a photoframe and my detail is only ok.

loving it so far. could not afford a bigger one. MY SX30IS powershot has a 35 power zoom that I love but not good in low light. I havn't had much sun to play with yet so not many pics. I crop a lot also with elements.

Keep in mind cropping is not the answer to zooming in closer to the subject. Any file will only have "x" amount of pixels available to display the data in that file. Cropping 50% of those pixels away will result in a file that likely will not hold up in terms of sharpness, contrast and clarity. The quality of the lens itself has a large impact on "crop-ability" as well. As Mike said you likely will never have enough reach!

Keep in mind there are no shortcuts to quality close up photos. There is ALWAYS a compromise when conditions are not perfect, which is most every time you press your shutter.