• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 Arctic Cat 650

muddpuppy

I have an oportunity to buy a 2004 Arctic Cat 650 great shape with about 1800 miles.I have looked on the list and people seem to want more than they paid for them new. Anyone willing to give a solid ballpark range for this machine. Also anything these are know for issue related I can look for?

Kbb has it listed around $3500 or so. Guess I wouldn't pay any more than that for one unless it had some extras. I does seem like people ask alot for used atv's. But I find once they sit on the list for a few weeks, the prices creep down some.

When I was researching atvs a couple years ago I came across alot of posts with people having cracked frame issues with the 2004 650's. It wasn't just one or two guys it was several. I would google it and do some research on several of the atv sites out there. The posts even tell you where to look for the cracks. I have a cat 2003 and a 2004 400 and have no frame issues with them. They have been good machines. It seemed to be specific to the 2004 650's.

Good luck with your purchase.

Well I bought the machine but I think the carbs may be out of sync. Is anyone running this machine? It starts fine and idels great. it takes off like a raped ape to about 26mph and then stahls kinda gets jerky let off the gass and it's fine until I hit the mid 20's same thing can not get it over 30mph....... Any thoughts. I plan on pulling plugs and carbs. anything else I should be looking at?

Well I bought the machine but I think the carbs may be out of sync. Is anyone running this machine? It starts fine and idels great. it takes off like a raped ape to about 26mph and then stahls kinda gets jerky let off the gass and it's fine until I hit the mid 20's same thing can not get it over 30mph....... Any thoughts. I plan on pulling plugs and carbs. anything else I should be looking at?

There is an excellent site to go to and find everything you would ever want to know about this machine and how to get it tuned properly. I will PM you. A few searches there will provide you endless information.

The frame issues were only on the VTwin models, which I am guessing is the one you have. There are tips on the site I will send you on what to look for and how to fix if you notice a problem.

I have an 04 Vtwin. It has under 1700 miles on it. Some things you will want to know off the top of my head:

The exhaust bolts get very hot, it has a cover for the exhaust, but those bolts will burn the legs of little kids and yourself if you are wearing shorts or are not careful.

There is a belt default on the machine that will sometimes turn on, there is a reset procedure that you will want to become familiar with.

They are extremely cold blooded, I use amsoil 0W-40 in mine all year, it really helps it start good in the cold. I use it to plow my driveway. I also bought a battery tender last year, and that also helped, I never have to worry about it not starting in the cold ever again.

There were rear brake issues at first, I had a new brake reservoir put in under warranty. There will be a little brake fluid reservoir under the seat if this has been done. I can't remember what it does, or even why I had it done, but I know it was done. I think if I remember correctly the foot brake pedal was very soft.

The frame issue on these is definitely a problem. I read all about that. There are a couple hundred that had the frame problem, but remember that thousands were sold, mine is still in great shape, they broke at the weld.

I was told to by the dealer and the mechanic to only keep it in low. It will still do almost 40 mph, high is only for highway speeds and will do almost 65 mph in this range. I almost never ever have it in high. Only going down the road.

These things are tanks, take care of it and it will treat you right. If you do a google search on these you will find a great HSOforum for all things arctic cat. just search for arctic chat instead of cat. If you have any more questions. Ask away.

Not sure about the carb issue, sounds like it is starving for fuel when you open it up and the float drops. I'd check fuel lines and make sure that there is no leak or holes and that there is good flow coming from the tank.

The 650 V-Twin cats shared the limp mode with the Kawasaki Prairie (same motor). I will second the cold blooded nature of the motor. I had the 700 version in a KFX. Stock, the air/fuel mixture screws were set too lean on these motors and would cause them to cut out. Frustrating to say the least but a minor adjustment and all was well.