• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

classic 50 to 60hp evinrude?

broken_line

Well, which is it? 60 or 70? The 60 is a 2 cylinder and the 70 is a 3 cylinder. I would prefer the 3 cylinder as they tend to run a little smoother.

Yes you would see some gain, however, what is really cheap? No spark means troubleshooting it and right away, power pack comes to mind, the 2 cylinder would be just under a $100 and the 3 would be just over a 100.

Does it come with the control box, cables etc?

Also do a compression test on it

Is it oil injected? 1984 was the first year of the VRO and that is when they did have problems with them.

my bad, its a 1978 3 cylinder 60 hp. i believe he wants around 250 to 300 for the whole boat and trailer. but the boat has a cracked transom. it is not oil injected. what should the compression be? around 130? how can i test the electrical?

I would trade a classic 50 for either of those motors, personally, just for the trolling ability of the 50 alone. Only prob with the 50 is it is thirty, but bulletproof. Now compare to a newer 60 or 70 and yeah, that would be different. Good luck!

Also do a compression test on it

Is it oil injected? 1984 was the first year of the VRO and that is when they did have problems with them.

Bruce is right on here... do not overlook these two questions on this series of motors.

marine_man

I would trade a classic 50 for either of those motors, personally, just for the trolling ability of the 50 alone. Only prob with the 50 is it is thirty, but bulletproof. Now compare to a newer 60 or 70 and yeah, that would be different. Good luck!

My post should have read "I would NOT trade a classic 50 for either of those motors" my '82 merc 50 is 30 years old and still working like new every weekend - well almost, but I am getting fat too so that may explain speed loss, haha!.

Sorry for typo after edit period.