• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 80hp 4 stroke

Mr. Twister

Anybody have a 2002 Yamaha 80 hp 4 stroke. I am looking at one and am wondering if anybody has had any good or bad experiences with these. Do they start easy? Would this be a motor that would troll down slow enough to troll crank baits or would a kicker be necessary?

Any info would be a big help.

Thanks

Is it a good motor? Yes... there is a risk though... the carbureted larger 4 stroke motors were very sensitive to bad gas... If you keep up on using it often, or ensuring it has stabilized gas, you should be in good shape. If you can afford it, I'd go for the EFI version.

They do start good. Does it troll down low enough to troll? That will depend a bit on your prop... it will idle low, but if you have a large diameter / pitch prop that won't matter much. You could always troll with a drift sock / etc to slow that down further.

marine_man

i have an 01 on pro v 1800 gary roach edition very nice combo, runs 45mph ,as stated premium gas only !no ethanol,had it since new ,change engine oil ,lower unit oil every year ,new water pump every 2 years[ my choice for piece of mind] i would say above good fuel mileage ,not greatjust not as good as fuel injected one or as smooth running.only one problem ever and that was human error going wide open one day and clunk!got it on the trailer and she was locked up tight ,took it to the mech and took the prop off and thier was spider wire line wrapped around the shaft so tight it ate the seal out wore a groove in the shaft let all the lower unit lube out ,which fried the bearings, it slammed so hard it twisted the splines on the shaft going into the power head ,lukily insurance covered it ,always pull youre prop and check a couple times a season and please dispose of line responsibly !

I have a 2001 80 hp Yamaha on a 17-ft Skeeter tiller. I've had it for 4 years and love it. I burn premium gas, use Seafoam a few times a year and Stabil when winterizing. (Plus foaming the carbs.) I change plugs annually. I've had no problems with it. It starts easy as long as used regularly. As for trolling with it, I don't do it all that much. (Tend to use the trolling motors more for better boat control.) When I do troll forward with big motor, I use a drift sock and can get the speed down to under 2 mph. I might add another XL sock, which probably would put it at 1.5 or less. (And trolling backward it's easily 1.5 or less with a sock.) Overall, the only drawback is that it's a lot of motor to steer, especially when conditions are not ideal or you are using for tubing/fun. On the flip side, my upper body needs the exercise. smile