• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

early departures

cbrooks

You guys keep scaring me with these new posts in the early departure thread. I'm just going to keep telling myself Bjugstad is gone, then if he stays I will be extra excited. It is a good sign no one bolted right away.

It is fun to think about our first line returning and getting even better next year.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Lou yesterday too. He switched his opinion from earlier from when he was fairly certain Bjugstad was gone. According to him, Florida was going to let Bjuggie be the main decision maker.

It does seem like the U has a great skating core coming back, but goaltending might be an issue. If he thinks there is unfinished business, and there is, he'll probably be back. The other question is where will he get the most development, by spending a 3rd year in college, or start getting used to the pro ranks.

WShy not stay in college if you will be stuck in there farm system. I don't think Florida will lose there rights next year. So Florida has nothing to lose if Bjustad stays another year.

I would say that, except for the rare circumstances where a player is totally dominate against his opponents and the biggest part of the other teams game plan, they should all stay in college. They may play half the games but they will see 5 times the practice working on the fundamentals hitting the weights more. I understand the risks, but there is also a ton of risk by signing with garbage teams like the Isles. It's it would be nice if some system could be created that would prevent bonus payouts until after something like 20 games in the NHL or one season the AHL. It happens every year some kid turns pro too soon and then his development is stifled and we never know what they could have been. I wish them all the best, I just wish the systems was more capable of looking out for the players.

I think bjug is staying. Honestly I think if you are a kid with confidence it is a better decision for your development to play in the AHL and maybe some NHL game, then it is to play college.

Now if you are still looking for your confidence, then maybe college.

Honestly though, the ahl is way faster then the NCAA.

One other thing on early departures.

Will there be a season next year? With Donald Fehr as head of the players association I not optimistic that there will be a hockey season next year. I would almost guarantee a shortened season which probably won't help young guys trying to make a team.

I assume there isn't even minor league contracts if there is no CBA but I'm not positive on all of those scenarios. But there is obviously none of the bigger money without a CBA.

I think the last time the NHL closed down there was an AHL season and most of the younger guys played there while the NHL guys went overseas. Lets hope they aren't dump enough to do that again, I would seriously quit the NHL if the season closed again.

Heres a couple of good reasons.

He is only 19 and will be a jr next year.

He has a good head on his shoulders and family support.

I said he was staying.

It is going to be a great year for the gophers next year!!

Those are good reasons for us fans and yeah, I'm hoping your right and he stays but seriously it makes no sense to stay at all and recent history with good players says the odds are stacked WAY WAY against us.

Now the strike is an interesting angle. Bugs is good enough to step right into the NHL in perfect situation. So that helps maybe with the strike~

My conversation with a U of M hockey guy today leads me to tell you guys that Bjugstad will return next year. The worry is goaltending and the disappointment of Ambroz's play.

I have met this gentleman before and to be able to have a 15 minute hockey talk with him was great. He thought my views of the players we talked about were spot on( which makes me feel good) however he would not comment on if Bjugstad was playing hurt the last half of the season or not.

I am very excited for Gopher hockey if this is true and that line of BBR stays healthy.

No doubt our goaltending is a big ? next year but I'm not to freaked out about it, Wilcox has been very good in the USHL. I don't know much about our other goalie but I'm sure he brings a good resume.

Ambroz eh, to be honest I wasn't that impressed with him this year, yes he is a big serviceable body and he might be able to pot some goals next year but if he happens to bolt its no big loss.

In the back of mind I've thinking ambroz could leave. He might be better off. The wcha has become soft. I think the potential is still there with him. He was great in the ushl. Confidence an the right line and he's coring goals again. I think he's one of those kids that benefits from good coach, obviously not something he's gonna get here.