• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor battery hook up

harvey lee

I have a MInn Kota 12v trolling motor. I at this time have 1 battery hooked up to it.

Is it possible to hook up 2 batteries together and still have 12v? If so, what batery terminals get hooked up to what?

Just looking to get more trolling time out of the batteries before a charge up.

Thanks

Side question: does hooking up batteries of different strengths (new and old battery) matter?

The older battery could possibly weaken the newer battery. Basically it will bring the new battery to the same lvl as the old one. Always better to start out with two new batteries.

This is the reason why all of your battery powered objects tell you to change all the batteries at the same time.

I was thinking of doing the same thing to get a little more life out of my trolling motor and electronics. My concern is I only have enough room for 2 batteries and I have an electric start 25hp. I currently have a starting battery and a deep cycle. Since it is a smaller motor, would there be any issues with running everything off of two deep cycles running in parallel instead of having a starting battery? Other than if I drain the two I’ll need to start the motor with a spare rope…

While it's not recommended, you should be able to get by with it. It may wear your batteries faster than intended though do to the high current draw over a very short duration.

marine_man

Ditto. Deep cycle batteries are not designed to handle the explosive high current loads of starting an outboard. They will do it but it will take its toll on their lifespan. Same is true when using starting batteries for operating low amp loads like your trolling motor. They will do it but it will take its toll on them.

You could consider using dual-purpose batteries. These types of batteries fall in the middle.

Thanks for the responses! Does running two deep cycles in parralel reduce the load on each battery, or is it the same as starting off of a single deep cycle?

The load is determined by...the load.

A 40A trolling motor powered by one 12v battery or multiple batteries connected in parallel is still the same 40A load on the batteries. The load will be shared by the batteries less some minor variations due to wire and battery resistance. So yes, with two batteries in parallel, each battery will supply about half the load give or take.