• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Panic...help, please?

I was asked last night if I would take photos at a very small wedding (35 guests). I don't think they have a photographer at all, since they really can't afford one.

I have my 60D, a tamron 17-50 2.8, which will probably be the lens of choice. I also have a 430ex flash with an available QuickFlip arm.

The things that will make this difficult for me:

-I am also playing the bride's processional

-The bride is short, groom is tall

-They are mixed race, so exposure to capture her white skin and his dark skin will not be easy

Any tips for me? I can probably get one of my daughter's to take photos of the procession if I have everything set up.

I am a very reluctant photographer here, in this situation. My bail out option is to see if a professional from our congregation would be willing to take photos for very little.

I Can not help you. But if you go to

Quote:
Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.
and pose you question you will get a lot of advice. It is a photoghaphic forum and the people there are really good. Good luck

Douglas

After some thought here are a few things that have worked for me. I don't make it a habit to shoot weddings but....with serious arm twisting here are a few basic tips.

1. Meet with the couple and find out what specifically they are looking for. What type of shots, formal, casual. How much will you photograph, the ceremony, reception, before the wedding, after, etc. How many shots, what do they want?

2. Make a shot list. Pictures of who, what groups that type of thing. Make sure you carry this with you and check them off as you complete them.

3. Shoot RAW, shoot RAW, shoot RAW!

4. Extra memory cards, batteries, another backup camera anything that can break have a plan for a backup.

5. Scout out the church or venue. Take sample shots and get exposures nailed down. Figure out how much time and how to get to venues (if they are in different locales). Where will you shoot from, talk to the clergy and find out policy on flash, where you can be etc.

6. Try using natural light as much as you can, think of that when choosing shooting spots. Along with that use your flash as fill flash, indoors and out!

7. And last but not least, consider telling them that a professional will still be the best route. No matter what you will not have the experience that a person who does this every weekend does. Will your work cause issues with the couple later on when their expectations are not met? It is easier to decline now than latter when things didn't turn out as you hoped. You are already participating in the ceremony adding further stress of how you will do.

Just a few basic things off the top of my head, not a complete list of things to think of but a few to start the thought process if you go down this road.

This couple has absolutely no expectations. It is her third marriage, but the first in a church with the gown, attendants, flowers, etc. It is his first. The bride does not want the groom to see her until she walks down the aisle. It is a given that there will be many tears of joy at this ceremony! This family attends our church, partly because our exchange student welcomed the older daughter to come along, and they felt welcomed. They have had pretty minimal church involvement, and it has been so cool to watch them blossom as their hearts are opening.

As stated earlier, they do not have the funds to pay for a photographer. The whole budget for this day is roughly $6000 - dress, tux, food for 35. Most people involved are donating time (pastor, pianist, violinist (me), PA operator) If a professional were to come in, I would probably hire her myself, and make it a gift to the couple.

The wedding is this Saturday afternoon in our home church, so I know where all the dark spots are. I will check with Pastor about the flash thing, as I think it would be the better option.

I will copy your suggestions, Dan, and bring them along.

All Dan's thoughts are solid ones. At most weddings I've done, the pastor will allow flash during the processional and recessional. That's a BIG help. Ask about during the service - some will, some won't. If not, that 2.8 will get a serious workout during the ceremony. As Dan said, scout the venue out as to light. Take a few shots before everything gets started to check you settings. A good workflow for formal shots for me is:

Bride;bridesmaids;add ring bearer and flower girl if applicable;full wedding group;groom;groomsman;bride/groom; relatives

Under the circumstances, I'm guessing formals will probably be after the ceremony. One thing to consider is to do bride/bridesmaids in one group before and the groom/groomsman as well. Group shots and bride/groom after. I set up lights and like to stay away from that because it means setting up and adjusting lights twice, but you do what you have to do.

Good luck!

My advice - RUN. grin

Seriously, if you need an extra body and/or flash, let me know. I have just learned that my 30D does a real good job up to ISO 3200. Also, for close intimate shots of the couple, it's good to bounce the light rather than direct hard light, when you need flash indoors. I do have a pocket bouncer available to borrow. Just let me know.

Other than that, I think Dan and Ken gave you excellent tips and ideas. Good luck.

Also, if using flash during the processional, don't forget to set the flash to high speed because 1/30 sec. won't cut it when they're moving.

Hi Carolyn,

I was in a very similar predicament last year. Asked to photo a close relatives wedding. Reluctantly complied. I had some time to do some reading and rent a 24-105L. I too have a Tamron 17-50 and did use that. I made myself a notepad with a few camera settings. Shoot RAW, Enable Highlight Tone Priority (white dress details), Set Flash Comp. to underexpose flash by 1/2 stop when shooting straight on(lessens white blowouts, fixes better in post process),Bounce flash if ceiling is low enough,(return flash comp to 0) Turn off the focus "Beep", I set the focus point to the center spot, aim for eyes when close, Portrait picture style, Use ISO up to 800 without flash.

My 50D has two User Settings C1,C2 where I was able to have these settings previously saved.

It was a worthwhile experience for me. I think the couple was very pleased even though they should have had low expectations. Hopefully better than a bunch of snapshots. Good Luck.

Cliff

Okay, the pressure has been relieved somewhat. There is another family that is also taking photos, so I won't have to worry about trying to do everything. Our pastor just called and asked if we could take video of the ceremony, so hubby will set one up, and I'll put one of my daughters on my Canon Vixia HF S200. That will give them two different angles, with one an overall view and the sound directly from the PA system, and ours from the sanctuary level with the sound just taken by the camera itself.

I will print out all the hints, and take them with me. Hopefully we can get some pretty decent posed shots afterwards with their family.

Thank you so much for all the help!