• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

House training

Double D

Got the wife a purebred beagle for her birthday in early December. Pup was born in March of last year. Nice little dog, fairly easy mannered for a beagle pup.

The guy we got him from said he was house trained, and for the most part he did pretty good through the first of the year. Now, you couldn't pay the dog to carp outside. We put him out on his chain for a while, at least 5 times a day and he will usually whiz outside and then come in and dump in one of 3 spots in the house. With the warm weather we have tried leaving him out for longer times, he still comes in and finishes business inside.

If things keep going at this pace, you will see a free beagle ad on here soon. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

DD

That doesn't sound like too much fun.

It sounds like a behavior problem.

I would clean up his areas in the house with product for pet accidents (non ammonia based).

Then watch him like a hawk when he is indoors, and let him out often. On the first sign of a movement get him out the door!

Dogs mark their territory with both urine and stool. I wonder if bringing over another dog's stool and putting it in the yard would give him the idea to do it outside?

When he does, give him lots of praises!

You'll need to do more than just leave him chained up outside for longer and longer periods.

When he is inside you need to watch him and correct the behavior as it is happening. The second he's done its too late to correct, he won't be able to associate the correction with the action that was bad.

The second step is to praise the good behaviour, so when he does go outside you need to praise him as much as humanly possible. Also try to establish a routine for him. Or I should say establish a new routine since his current routine is to p00 inside as soon as you let him inside. Take him out at the same time and take him to the same place and tell him to go potty or give another command to let him know that now is the time to go. Once he goes give him lots of praise. He'll build the connection soon enough. My 3 year old vizsla will stop mid stride a relieve himself on command whether he has to go or not. Just takes consistent reinforcement.

Like said above you'll also want to clean the areas where he's been going with a good cleaner. I used Nature's Miracle when my dog was a pup when he has an accident and it seemed to work but he also never went #2 in the house. You'll want to make sure to clean the areas beacuse he is likely associating the smell with that being the spot he's supposed to go.

Might not be an overnight fix but he should get it soon enough. I'd encourage you to stick it out and work him through the issue. I'd hate to see a dog given away for a correctible behavior issue.