• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New pontoon - South Bay?...

BoxMN

My wife is making me consider a new pontoon... current one is a rehabbed 1977 that we only use lawn chairs on smile It is basically "new" all around, but too plain and not "comfy" for her tastes.

We will keep the next one forever, so considering new so I get what I want. Anybody have experience or knowledge of South Bay brand? I am looking at the fishing model, 20 foot. Looks pretty nice, but has "nice" pricetag too, ..gulp...... My problem is anything used within about 5 years old is not that different than new price, and they aren't what I want layout wise, motor wise or they have carpet instead of vinyl flooring... anyway, if anybody has used or has a South Bay, I would apprecaite your comments, thanks!.

(oh yeah, not that it matters for this question, but Yammie T or Merc Bigfoot 50 or 60hp models are the motors I would get, with personal prefence to Merc.)

South Bay are nice pontoons. They have been called different names in the past (i.e. Odyssey), but ever since the South Bay name began a few years ago the quality and fit and finish really improved. I was in contact with Forest River, makers of South Bay, and they were very helpful people to deal with when I shopped for a 'toon last year.

I did a lot of research and the concensus was Bennington and Premier were the top amongst consumers for quality, finish, warranty and options.

I noticed the same thing....newer-used pontoons hold their value very well!

I have a Crest pontoon. I compared all the manufacturers that had dealers withing 150 miles of me before buying. My wife checked the topside of all the boats (along with me), and I checked out the underside of all the boats. When I was shopping in 2006, the South Bay boats were called Odyssey. Personally I found the construction to be decent, but it (and all the others) could not compare with the construction of the Crest boats. Crest's are tanks! I saw on Crest's HSOforum that there is a dealer in Hastings.

That's my opinion! I don't think you'd go wrong with a South Bay at all, but my own opinion leans me toward Crest's.

Thanks all. There are lots of nice ones for sure. I also lik ethe made in MN aspect. But when it comes down to it the construction and layout will be key. I want to create my own layout ideally, and know I want certain options. I wish I would have looked at a few more options while at the boat show. I know I won't get 24" on center, nor a model that doesn't carry the stringers all the way to the edge of plywood. I also like the teak vinyl look on a the little stern platform of some of the models.

Still trying to keep wife at bay, but she is getting pretty bossy on getting one... maybe I will keep my old for ME wink