• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ruger SR9, SR9C Reviews Wanted

I bought a Ruger SR9c back in September and I absolutely love it. Outstanding gun.

Pros: The trigger on the SR9c is outstanding. Beats my Glock's trigger by a longshot. Very crisp break. The magazines are nice and made by Mecgar (sp?). I had some feeding issues during the break in period throughout the first 100 rounds or so, but I have put 1,085 rounds through it since and have had zero problems. The quality of the SR9c is great and I have been carrying it daily for the last month or so. It also comes with two magazines, one is a flush 10 round mag and the other is the full size 17 round SR9 magazine that comes with a sleeve so you can use it at the range or for home defense. The sights are adjustable for windage and elevation and are pretty decent. The best part about getting a Ruger is if you ever have issues, they have the best customer service of gun manufacturers by far. Oh, and they're made in the USA.

Cons: I am not huge on all of the safety features. It has a magazine disconnect safety so the gun cannot be fired without a mag in the gun...I'm not a fan of that. It also has the Glock style trigger safety and a manual ambidextrous safety. Both the compact and full size also have a loaded chamber indicator that some people don't appreciate.

The best part about the SR9c is that it is extremely comfortable and pleasant to shoot at the range. I could shoot 500 rounds in one day and not be uncomfortable. Can't say that about my fourth gen Glock 26. The full size SR9 comes with two 17 round mags and has the same qualities as the SR9c, but obviously in a full size weapon. Accuracy is outstanding in these guns.

P1010440.jpg

Wild, I believe the mag disconnect can be easily removed at home with a more complete disasembly. When I was looking at them, I was also concerned about the mag disconnect and saw a few how-to videos regarding removal. I do not know if it would affect warranty, etc. though. I ended up getting a 1911 (other end of the spectrum, I know) so I have not personally done the removal.

Yeah that magazine disconnect is very easy to remove and I went ahead and did that when I started carrying the gun. This allows me to be able to dry fire the gun without a magazine in the weapon and it seemed to give the trigger a cleaner pull. If you ever need warranty work, it is very simple to put the magazine disconnect back in...takes about five minutes to break the gun down and remove the striker and insert the mag disconnect mechanism.

As for holster options, there aren't a ton of them for the SR9c. I use a Blackhawk nylon holster size 05 for the baby Glocks. It doesn't have any retention but it is good enough for me. I believe Crossbreed makes the super tuck for the SR9c, but they are a bit expensive.

According to Ruger, you shouldn't dry fire your SR9c without an empty magazine in the gun or you can cause firing pin damage. I'm not sure if removing the magazine disconnect changes that, but I wouldn't do it.

For IWB holster, I would recommend Old Faithful Holsters. They are a Crossbreed style, but a little less expensive, and have a little different design that lets you change retention by tightening or loosing a couple screws. You can get a kit and put it together your self, or get it pre-assembled.

Yes, you are correct. Dry firing without a magazine in the weapon can and will damage the striker and/or the magazine disconnect safety. The mag disconnect blocks the striker from traveling far enough to strike the primer (you can still physically pull the trigger w/o a mag, and it will seem like it would fire but it won't). This is why they recommend you don't dry fire the gun unless you have an empty magazine in the gun.

However, with the removal of the magazine disconnect you can dry fire with or without a magazine without doing damage to the mechanisms.

I made a video of how to remove it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYRV1e4kzPQ

I have the chance to buy a pair of them very reasonably priced, just looking for the good/bad ahead of time.

I stumbled upon this at the Ruger HSOforum. Might want to check if the one you're looking at purchasing is included in this recall, although doesn't appear like much of a issue to get repaired.

In 2008, we determined that some Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008 could, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position.

We will retrofit all affected SR9 pistols (those with serial number 330-29999 or lower) with these parts at no charge to our customers. In order to ensure correct fitting, the new parts must be installed at our Ruger factory in Prescott, Arizona. We will remove the old parts and install the new trigger group promptly, at no charge, and will return the pistol to you. The old parts will not be returned.