• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whitefish Bay / Opener??

Rich, I don't know for sure because I have not been up in that area, but I would imagine the ice is sketchy at best just from what I have seen on Rainy and up by my buddies cabin in Canada. We haven't had the cold weather to form some good ice. Rainy is still mostly open as far as I know. I would call a resort up there to try and get some up to date information.

Fished WFB today with Benelli dude's father. Made it up just before 10 am and had our first fish on the ice in 15 minutes. Had our limit before noon. What a great time. Actually picked up a walleye in 60 feet of water 5 feet off the bottom. If you ever need a guide, he be THE MAN. Best multi-species fisherman I know on the North end of the lake.

hey I think i know your guide. lol. i was up the day before (saturday) on WFB and we did great on lakers. most fish were caught close to bottom in 60ft. turtle lake and WFB had good snow cover. i never had to pull out my scratchers on my sled. a few more small ridges this year but no slush to speak of. heard and seen quite a few people that day. one buddy even landed a 52 inch musky ( showed me some pictures) theres about a foot of ice. hope to head up again this next saturday.

Fished WFB yesterday with Benelli Dude and a bunch of newbies. 16-18 inches of ice as BD will attest to as he went down the hole for one of my trout. Wound up with limits of lakers to 11 pounds. Three of 4 newbies pulled their first trout through the ice and the other had a chance but could not keep it on. Great trip, colder than the last time I was up but it is January. Lots of shelters seen on the way in. Gotta love trout fishing! Can't wait to try open water season up there.

I think those guys come from Morson through the turtle portage area. There is a public access on the Southern end of Whitefish just North of Vic and Dots camp that we used when we were up. It is a little rough and narrow but doable. Don't take it if you are worried about branches touching your vehicle...

Quickest way from the Falls would be the public access road by Dots on the road to Kenora. Don't know how much snow there would be on the road or if the Ontario roads people plow it. I doubt it. We go in at the govt dock outside of Morson and take the Turtle Lake Portage up. Roughly a 20 mile sled ride. Good ice. Only a couple of small ridges. Have a map or GPS if you are running for the first time. Easy to get lost if you don't know where you are going.