• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling in Minnesota

I was just reading a post on another board about how they approach fall fishing without motor trolling because they live in Wisconsin (Packers are Losers!!!). I know on Vermilion trolling works great. Just this weekend I boated 4 and 3 were lost (normally we do not lose this many frown.gif ).

I know on Vermilion Grandma's and Jake's are outstanding. I also like to use Depth Raiders. The key on Vermilion is to fish close to the rocks. If you are not getting snagged, you are not fishing close enough to the structure. Key on points and reefs.

What I would like to know does anyone troll in the fall on other Minnesota Lakes? If so, how well do they do and what type of structure do they fish? What baits work best trolling these lakes? Thanks for any info you may have and share!

Good luck fishing!

David Swenson
http://muskieguide.homestead.com/

Trolling will produce more muskies in the fall because you can cover 5 miles of water per hour and gives you the "edge" in finding them. I had a group fly in from Denver and we found them in 14 feet of water in an area not known for muskies. The reason we found them is we all got hungry and decided to troll towards a resort to eat and regroup. They caught 12 muskies, 10 northerns, and 3 huge walleyes. They lost 3 over 50 inches. Just pure luck in locating them and it had nothing to do with my knowledge of the lake. The best fall lures are spoons and cisco kids. Talking with other guides, they swear by spinner baits and the topraider. I do not agree. If you are losing 3 out of 4, take a look at the hooks. Muskies are very aggressive in the fall compared to summer where the lure falls out in the net. I have to use a pliers on every muskie in the fall. If you are losing them your hooks are not sharp or they are getting slack due to pumping. No matter how much I preach before the battle, customers will get tired as the muskie gets close to the boat and start to pump. As far as structure, there was none. Not a weed or rock. It was all sugar sand and they were feeding on baitfish. As we located them, I switched out to natural colors to imitate. I could write a book about trolling but they only way to learn is to live on the water, which I did this summer. Week-end warriors miss the best bite. The only way to learn is to make every mistake in the book by trial and error. No different then having a 10 pointer 20 yards away broadside and using the wrong pin in the excitement. It will never happen again! Good luck fishing.

------------------
Castaways Charters
Mille Lacs Lake Guides
CastawaysCharters.com
Phone: (320) 684-2886

Hi Dave,
Since you and I fish the same waters, I guess I'd better take notes. smile.gif I never
was a big fan of trolling for muskie, I
knew it could be effective, I just hate
to listen to that motor running all the time...

Well to make a long story short, this
year I decided to teach myself the fine
points of trolling. It took me a while
before I had much success, but now I'm
hooked. I have caught more muskie this fall than ever before, most of them by
trolling.

I also like jakes, and grandma's, most
of the action was on the 8" baits. The
brite colors seemed to work the best. I also caught some huge pike, including a
42" on sunday after the snow storm. I
wasn't able to watch the Vikes kick the
packers butts, but we boated 3 fish and
lost a monster at the boat.

All of my fish have been coming off of
shoreline breaks and points in shallow
water.(less than 15ft)

I'll be out there pulling them cranks until ice up....I'm still learning some of the finer points.....but school was
never this much fun! smile.gif

------------------

Ace guide service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com
1-218-753-2612

I do use rod holders. It helps keep control of my lures, it allows me to concentrate on keeping the boat in good water, and it can get tiresome holding the rod for 8-10 hours a day. As for the rods, I like to use 7 ft rods w/ ABU 6500C reels. For trolling, I use 80 lb tough line.

David Swenson
http://muskieguide.homestead.com/

Hi Big,
I have been using 7 1/2ft rods most of the time. I also use a 7ft ugly stick,
medium heavy action, it has a softer tip and the fish won't pull the hooks
out of their face. smile.gif

I have Roberts rod holders, I bought them for trolling for walleye, but they have been working for muskie as well. I
have seen a few post on rod holders on
other muskie boards..muskie central may
have a few in their archives.

------------------

Ace guide service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com
1-218-753-2612

Your guys ALL rock!

Guideman rules, and I would like to hook up with Dave sometime.

If I had a BOAT that worked, I could comment more on my resluts of this fall season.
Here are a few baits and other things that have worked for me!

I have no boat, YET, as it is STILL waiting for parts, so I will only comment on past years expericene.

I have been Trolling the Big V. and others like her for Many years in Minnesota and Ontario, and have a Killer method for trolling up BIG Pike and now that the Musky are in the mix, they are none the less intrested as well.

I use 80 LB Gorrilla Braid from past years stash!
Home made 4 foot leaders.
Bucher Split ring on the end, NO SNAPs!

8" Jakes are good, 11" & 9" Grand Ma's a little better.
Just my choice.
10" Believers Rock and can take a beating.
8" Swim Whiz baits are Killers also.
Buchers stuff are killers as is the 9" Sledge.
Hooker baits are the best for open water.
BIG bucks, but worth it sometimes.
Huge Spinner baits with huge Colorado and Willow baldes work well also, as you can slow roll them off the bottom or drag them fast or slow just above any rock cover.
Also very large 10 to 12 inch Bucktails work if you want to troll a little faster, but still go deep.
These are also good for trolling through bait balls and over any deep weed line.

Small baits also work well, Shad baits and Bagleys, if the fish are telling you they do NOT want the big stuff.
It happens, no matter what the guys in the books say.
Bigger is better in fall, but smaller works just as well if that is what is being called for.
Weather and temps tell it all.
Time of day also.
Some of the biggest fish can and do come on baits trolled right in the wash.
At midday.
If you tire of trolling and want a break try a large Jig and a large Reaper or Creature dragged and bounced on the Rock line edge between the gravle or sand and the boulders!
This can be down right fantastic!
Snow and wind just up my odds, only thing is it is hard for me to find a partner on these days!
Well, except for my ever loyal Bailey.
Now that is a Musky hound!
Nothing has ever her kept her from making a trip.
LOL
So many places to cover, and we all know that the fish can be any place.
Covering water, watching Gulls on the water or Bait on the electronice do wonders.
Sometimes the fish you think you are graphing are Walleyes, but are really suckers.
Watch out!
Many baits work, time on the water is the best teacher and boards like this will also help.
I use a 10 year old 8.5 foot Fiberglass Fenwick Trigger stick.
Fast action, and will not bust in the frezzing cold weather on hook up.
Graphite rods stiffen up, but are none the less good, I just like my glass rods in the fall.
As for sharp hook, if your not getting stuck when you put them on, for get it and hit them with a file!
A little blood may even help things out a bit!
Had three people this summer that put baits on that were right out of the box!
I offered to sharpen there hooks, they said NO, I can do it.
Then pull out some fancy $40 dollar, brand NEW hook a ma bob to do the trick.
A simple YELLOW handle $5 hook file will do it all.
Hope some of this makes sence?
Hook some face and burry it to the bone!

T.

www.muskytomsguideservice.com