• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

your take on preferences

outdoor_bubba

I know these are obvious questions but I want good advice as how to dial on my spear house very good.

1)whats your take on depth

mine is on a drop off from about 10 to 13 feet. I have normally had it in about 11 feet but wondering if thats good.

2) do weeds bother pike.

my lake has tall leafy weeds and I am wondering if they die off during the winter and if so when? in the summer the buds are just above the water and now under the ice the are bent to about half distance.

3)any other tips about placement and tips on spearing is very appreciated.

please comment back.

thank you

First off outdoorbubba welcome to the HSO family there are lot of great guys and gals with info second to none in these forums.

Depth-- I have speared from as little as 3 fow to over 25 fow for pike and IMO the its not the depth thats my concern its what/where the pike are at the particular time of year I'm spearing.,basically food sources.

My preference is around 6-8 fow along a point that has a deep drop of near by preerably it has weeds of some sort.

I do like weeds but I dont like them to be in the hole. I dont mind being over them but I would rather be on the edge of a weed line, if at all possible where it makes the transition to a different bottom substrate.

The lake I live on has milfoil and cabbage and I have speared more pike in plasces where there are no weeds compared to places that have them .

thank you very much fro the feed back!! I am in about 11 feet right now and the cabbage weed is about 3 to 4 feet tall still. but I managed to spear a pike this morning!!! I have been spearing for 4 years now but in the past years I have been using a friends house that he just puts out. I put mine out all by myself this year and just wondering if I did it right. my lake has lots of cover in it and all sorts of depths/weed mixtures.

it might take some searching (an underwater cam or flasher makes this alot easier) but if you can find a nice hole in the middle of that cabbage, or where it switches from cabbage to another weed (transition areas) you have a great spot. i've found nice pike in deeper water like elwood said, but i just love sitting in shallower water watching a big pike come in snaking through the cabbage!

I enjoy sitting over a weed free bottom but as you can tell thats not always possible.

My go to lake is very weedy. I sit right over the top of them in anywhere from 12 to 16 feet of water and have done very well. Trying to keep them out of the weeds once you spear them can be a challenge.

What part of the state are you spearing in outdoorbubba?

I used to like six to eight feet,but ten to fourteen seems to produce more fish. Friday I put out a permanent with 10.8 at one end of the hole and 12.4 at the other end, 43 inches apart. It's wrking well so far. Can't see any weeds and visibility is poor. Luckily the fish are in an attacking mode.

Two years ago I sat in a spot that was 12 feet in the front to 18 feet in the back of my hole. All of it covered in thick weeds.

In the front of my hole I could crouch down and see where the weeds were tall enough to touch the bottom of the ice. It dropped off to 24 feet deep just behind me.

The fish in my avatar is from that spot.