• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie PowerBait

Oldtyme

Check Walmart.
I was at one today & they were loaded w/ crappie nibbles. All 3 colors.
I didn't buy any, but I did buy some Gulp maggots & crawlers. If those work as well as live bait(as advertised smile.gif ) then it's a true breakthrough.
Thanks for the heads up on the sparkle nibbles, I've been wanting to try those but now I think I'll pass.

And count me in for a true believer that these crappie nibbles work. Been using them for years.

[This message has been edited by Oldtyme (edited 09-20-2004).]

Oldtyme, i havent really noticed a marked difference in thew catching power of the gulp except that once it gets over 75 out, the gulp turns into a liquid paste and becomes worthless, you almost need to keep it in a cooler to keep it worth using.

I have been using Berkley's Crappie PowerBait since it came out as a paste. I would put the bait into a 10 cc needleless syringe and inject the bait into a tube jig. This system worked well and is simular to the present Kodiak application system.
The paste was dropped for the Crappie Nibbles that came in various colors. Now the Nibbles come with a sparkle on them and it is hard to find the plain Nibbles.
I have not found that the Sparkles out produce the plain Nibbles. In fact the sparkles make a mess by getting all over my hands,reel and motor handle.
Has any one else had the same experience??

Funny normally I don't tip my plastics, although last time I was at the store I picked up some glitter nibbles, since I noramally used a glittered red and white tube, I thought a glittered red nibble would be ok, just in case. It seems gander mountain had a bit of the paste variety when I was there.

mnrstrider:
If I am not mistaken the PowerBait Paste now available is formulated for Trout.
Open the jars and notice the difference in smell.
I have tried the Trout formula injected inside a tub jig and it did not compare with the Panfish formula for Crappies.
As for Trout fishing the paste does a good job.
I am positive the Crappie PowerBait will do a good job for you. It sure works well for me.

And so I did go fishing, and I did catch fish, even though I did work for them a bit, and this time I remembered the little jar of crappie nibblers, and yeah they made a difference today, I swear I could tell when it was gone, it got me more bites today, it wasn't "needed" but it increased the numbers for sure, I guess I'm going to have to add this to my box from now on rolleyes.gifwink.gif

mnrstrider;
Here is a little trick to use with power bait. This works well if Perch are in your lake and keep nocking the bait off of the hook.
I cut the bowerbait pellets In half with a single edge razor blabe. Next I make a hole in each half with a 1/32" drill bit. I set the pellets on a piece of cardboard and let the pellets dry out to the consistence of a piece of leather. If they get to dry just sprinkle a little water in the jar of pellets.
With the hardened pellets I can usually pull the jig away from the perch without loosing the bait. Also you can usually catch several fish without having to rebait. This is especially nice when the Temp. is in the 30s and 40s and you don't have to take your gloves off to rebait.

Bob/Mn.... You have too much time on your hands smile.gif (good tip though)

I gave into temptation & ended up buying some chartruese sparkle nibbles today. They look so tasty tongue.gif
I figure as long as I'm not handling the sparkles after they get wet, I should be able to keep the sparkles off of everything. We'll see.

On a side note, with my regular crappie nibbles I just threw 3 jars into a sandwich baggie & that's where they've been for over 2 years, they still haven't dried out enough to not be able to hook them.
I think I'll keep the sparkle nibbles in the original container.

Hate to reply to my own post, but the sparkle nibbles work well.
It was a nasty,cold,windy day, so I decided to troll a fish-n-spin spinner (like a beetle-spin....google it, I love this lure, 1/32oz head,black head/chart tail ) I was trolling over weeds in about 8 feet of water. I caught 3 nice crappie on my first pass, then it started to rain, so I let them back & headed for home.
The new nibbles are definitely "too soft" so I have them on a paper towel now and going to let them dry up a bit.
I didn't have too much problem with sparkles getting on everything. Lucky for me my boat & carpet is green, so I just wiped whatever sparkle I got on my fingers on the carpet tongue.gif

(edit: is actually a 1/32 oz head for the fish-n-spin)

[This message has been edited by Oldtyme (edited 09-28-2004).]