• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wolf de-listing petition

Fish&Fowl

Most deer and other big game hunters, especially those in the northern part of MN, realize how big of a problem wolves are becoming under their current protected status. Farmers and ranchers are also being impacted by the protection of the wolf, and the anti-hunting crowd is one of the biggest reasons this is still an issue today.

Please take a minute to visit the HSOforum below and sign the petition, ensuring the big game we love to hunt stays at huntable numbers while giving us the chance to manage wolves the way every other animal is managed, controlled harvest. Check out the informative video as well.

http://biggameforever.org/

Done! Anyone else watch MacMillian River Adventures last night on the Outdoor Channel? Very informative. They gave some very suprising statistics on the elk numbers in idaho, and how the wolves have had an impact on elk populations.

Do the folk that want an absolutely no wolf season, do they care about the moose at all ? My gut tells me moose calf survival would be greater if more of them weren't eaten by wolves. What an easy target a moose calf would be, I know there's more factors to the moose than a wolf but we're dealing with dwindling moose numbers not that less wolves would save them from their despair, but they may hang on a little better for a few more years. Less moose also equals less forage for wolves equals more deer kills needed to feed them. It was simply better for all when wolf numbers were in check and balanced.

Do the folk that want an absolutely no wolf season, do they care about the moose at all ? My gut tells me moose calf survival would be greater if more of them weren't eaten by wolves. What an easy target a moose calf would be, I know there's more factors to the moose than a wolf but we're dealing with dwindling moose numbers not that less wolves would save them from their despair, but they may hang on a little better for a few more years. Less moose also equals less forage for wolves equals more deer kills needed to feed them. It was simply better for all when wolf numbers were in check and balanced.

speaking from experience, a calf is very well guarded by it's paternal mother.

If people think a wolf can get easy pickens on calves, then they surely haven't a clue how a cow's instincts are for protecting it's offspring.

just sayin from my own personal experience of getting close to a cow with a calf,

I promise...you will duck and run when mama moose is trying to flatten you like a panckae when she's bearing down on you like a two ton freight train

I don't doubt this is true, but you're talking about you by yourself. There's usually more than one wolf she can't chase 2 or 3 at a time.

No doubt about that...and truthfully there are probably even more than that. Packs of wolves will take down a bull moose, so cows and calves, and especially deer, are much easier prey. Tack on a couple of harsh winters and the effect is greatly magnified.

Well it appears the state finally has been granted control. I'm not overly optimistic about the regulations changing anytime soon. But if I'm wrong and the state offers permits next fall, I'll definitely apply. I'm sure if anything does happen, it'll be through trapping and not hunting.