• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Large Sunnies Caught (PICS)

carlcmc

That's a good question. I always look for the corner of the mouth to decide if it's a large or small mouthed species. Yours looked in between so I searched for hybred photos and found this image:

http://www.thejump.net/id/hybrid-sunfish.htm

It looks pretty close to me, but who knows for sure. What kind of panfish live in the pond?

I agree. A warmouth is longer, not as "plate shaped" and I would think a warmouth would add more blue to the color. It's definately a bluegill cross though.

Nice size to them too. How many inches long?

thanks for the replies. i unfortunately didn't measure as i had left my tape at home. did take the pics at least. the were significantly larger than my hand...

All pics are of big Bullgills...er Bluegills

Note the all-black ear flap...definately a Bluegill...and to the owner of these fine fish..Congrats!
They look to be 10.0 to 11-inch Bluegills!
Nice BullGills!

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 07-13-2004).]

Hm. I think the mouth is too big for a straight gill, and I've never seen a gill with that lighter colored trim on the fins and tail, but I suppose they all fillet the same anyway.

It's definately not a pure bluegill because the lower gill isn't blue like a bluegill, and it has the wormlike blue markings running along the gill cover like the green along with the tipped fin colors. The ear flap is dried and you can tell the edges of the earflap folded back which should've been a grayish orange color to it and definately the mouth is larger than a bluegill.

But anyways, nice catches.