• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for good info

The_King48

Hey all.. I am thinking of getting into bow hunting. I have hunted white tail with a rifle since I was old enough to carry. I like new challenges. I have never shot a bow before. I have only held a bow once and that was a couple of weeks ago at a retail shop. What should I look for in a bow? All of you guys are talking weights of bows, arrows, ect. I am looking for more of the basics. I looked at a Diamond and a Bear. The Bear felt a little easier to control for me but with more time and experience would I prefer the Diamond. Both models were around 500 bucks. I think the Diamond was the Outlaw? I am about 5 9 to 5 10 what "length"? and weight should I be looking at? The sales man said I should be around a 28" draw length around to the arrow on the chest with the stretched out arms. Looking forward to your opinions.

I hate to sound like I am over-simplifying things here, but there are nearly endless options and things you COULD consider when it comes to buying a bow and getting started. When I first got into archery 15 years ago, I was overwhelmed with all the options. At that time, I just bought a bow that I could afford, but it had to be fast. As I reached my second and third time around buying a bow, for me anyways, it became less about speed, and far more about one thing...comfort. I went out and shot a bunch of different bows. I made a point to forget about names/models as much as I could, until after I shot them. It all came down to a shooting a bow that fit me and that I was comfortable shooting. If it didn't feel good, I moved on to the next one. Then, I narrowed it down to 3 or 4 that felt the best, and then took the $ into consideration...not just the bow, but the bow and everything else I needed, and went from there.

It was always recommended to me to never buy a bow based solely on name or hype, rather buy a bow that you are comfortable shooting. If it then ended up being the bow with the big name and lots of hype, then so be it...it wasn't usually the case, though.

Good luck!

I think that this is probably the best time of year to get interested in bow hunting. You have no pressure to get out hunting and the shops are looking to get customers into the store.

As was said, the best bow for you is the bow that feels the best. Shoot as many as you can. If cost is a concern than make sure the salesperson understands that. There are far more bow models in the mid-price range than ever before. Also, don't be adverse to used bows. There are many great used bows out there and they will serve wonderfully as a first bow.

I would seek out a good pro shop rather than a big sporting goods store if possible. You will get a more personal experience and hey can help explain some of the finer details of sizing bows and all the little terms that you will learn. The shop will measure you for your draw length. With todays bows there are few reasons to shoot more than 60lbs, but the minimum is 30lbs. so start where you are comfortable and develop those bow muscles.

As far as all the finer details of arrows and weights etc, you can get started with inexpensive items that will allow you to get comfortable with your bow and as you learn more you will decide how and where you would like to spend more money on your system. One of the keys with archery is most items will work, but better items usually do cost more. Not everyone needs better for their style of hunting, but $$$ usually equals higher quality.

Guys here can give you lots of help, they sure did to me. This was my first year with bow, didn't even draw back on a deer yet wink but has been fun.

I shot a lot last summer and this fall, and even just shooting is fun at targets.

For just plain old info in one place, that gives basics or more in depth if you want, just search on "hunters friend" and archery. You will find it easy, but I can't give the site name here... lots of good info that will help you learn the terminology before you go to store to shoot some.

I was in the same boat last year at this time, and I ended up getting all set up for $500, ready to go. Good luck, have fun!

The last time I bought a bow was in 2006. It took me two full days shooting 6 different bows. It did cost me more than I wanted to pay when I was done, but I am still shooting the same bow today. Take your time and buy the right bow now, it will save $ in the future.

Everyone has hit the mark on where to start. The biggest thing is shoot many different brands and go with what feels best for you. It's your money and you are the one that has to shoot it. I made a huge mistake buying my first bow by getting one off the shelf without doing research on it. Things I recommend that people get the following info:

1. How does the brand hold up? Is it prone to problems or what issues do people have?

Most brands that are made nowadays are well made with many different price ranges but still there are a few bad apples out there.

2. What is the customer service like? Some brands/companies are excellent and prompt to deal with others could care less on issues of their customers. My second bow that was one of the questions I asked on each of the different brands I shot. How was their customer support. I had a horrific experience with a company and will not shoot that brand again. I may have been the exception to the rule for them but never the less, I wasn't very impressed.

Getting into bow hunting can be overwhelming with all the bells, whistles and options out there. Remember it is your money, don't waste it on stuff that doesn't work for you.

[Note From Admin: Please Read Forum Policy Before Posting Again, Thank You]

A tip: you don't need to most expensive piece of equipment or bow. A bow that cost $300 will kill a deer as well as one that cost $800. Yes the $800 bow might be faster or what not, but again go with what is in your price range and what feels good to shoot for you.

Once you settle on a bow practice practice practice shooting. Also, up your bowhunting IQ by reading books, certain magazines to get ideas or credible websites. This forum usually has some great info from various experience levels. A good book to start with is "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon. Gives great tips on where to start scouting by looking on a map and also great tactics with bowhunting. Another good author is Charles Alshiemer (spelling?) He is a deer guru that has written a few books on deer behavior and hunting tactics. I tried to get books that were written within the last 10 years or so to stay current on info.

Well good luck, I hope you enjoy it. It is different that rifle hunting but I feel it is a heck of a lot funner than rifle season. I hope this helps, sorry it was a novel.

Newfish

If you choose to get into Bowhunting,welcome to the sport and be ready for some great times in he woods and some trying times as well. All the info you have here is plenty to get you on your way. I have been chasing Whitetails for years now with a Bow and gave up the gun after my first year. You will learn so much more about deer behavior as you are forced to watch them instead of shooting them on sight. The up close and personel aspect of Bowhunting is second to none and after your first Bow kill you will be addicted to the sport. Good luck and as mentioned earlier... Once you pick your Bow, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. I forgot were you are from but I do my buisness at Whitcombs in Princton and they are awsome folks who take the time to take care of your needs. Only down fall for them is they only sell Mathews so your choice is limited. I hunted with the same Bow for twenty years and finaly treated myself to the DR2 and will more than likley hunt with that until I can't draw a Bow anymore. God willing that will be a long time yet. Lol Goodluck.