• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow Only Zones?

Bear55

This is kind of a two part post. First would you like to see some more bow only hunting zones in MN? It seems like other states set aside a lot of land or big forest areas as bowhunting only and I wish we would do a little of the same. It would be nice to have a place that doesn't get the crazy gun pressure and allow some of the deer to reach maturity. I know we have some bow only zones like the entire metro and Ripley but access and hunting time are very limited.

Part two, what other bow only zones are you aware of? I know there is one up by Bemidji but there has to be others. I do know some state parks are open to hunting and some cities have special hunts but as usual access or numbers are a limiting factor.

Wow. With the debate over APR's, scopes on muzzleloaders, changing the season date and cross tagging trying to tell someone they have to use archery equipment might just make their head explode. I would more than likely be in favor if it refered to public land only.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more areas designated as archery only myself. I know there are various refuges across the state that are designated for hunting/trapping, several being archery only. However much of the land is often comprised of private land and you must get permission first. This list starts on page 105 in the following link:

MN hunting regulations

This is also a list of archery hunts throughout the state, mainly park hunts, etc.

List of MN archery deer hunts

Wow. With the debate over APR's, scopes on muzzleloaders, changing the season date and cross tagging trying to tell someone they have to use archery equipment might just make their head explode. I would more than likely be in favor if it refered to public land only.

Ya I'm sure it won't go over well with some of the rifle hunters (I am one) but oh well, just more for people to whine about. I guess what I see in other states is giant blocks of public land set aside as archery only, if they can do it why can't we? I'm not sure on all of our archery only areas but most seem pretty small. Something a little larger like Ripley would be a fun place to hunt.

In a way it could help curb this whole Trophy/Meat hunter thing. Give us diehards a few chunks of public land where the bucks have a chance to reach maturity and the rifle guys can blast away outside these zones.

Then I want land that borders this sanctuary lol. The have's and the have nots, crappierage kinda ended any sympathy I have for bow hunters, go check his past decade of bow hunting I thought bow was tough especially to get close enough to shoot the caliber of bucks he takes regularly. jk, the acorn crop gives bow hunters a major advantage and 105 day season so I'll take a large chunk of wisconsin cheese with my wine lol, November 3rd, next rifle season opening date so we all just are wasting our breath lol.

I know stick and string, it's why hunting shows are so far out there, that's part of my have's have nots, if you have it you'll do pretty good and if you don't on average you won't. It's why I've posted on here a time or two before how do you get the label Professional Hunter or whatever like those tv show guys self claim themselves, because they have the money somehow to hunt places we could never. There are no professional hunters. I like Bear55 a ton and still want to destroy some michelob in the future with ya Bear, your idea is truly interesting, our obvious problem in MN with deer hunting is we are all sitting closer to each other than we did 25 years ago and we have 10,000 lakes that take up a lot of deer ground.

I know stick and string, it's why hunting shows are so far out there, that's part of my have's have nots, if you have it you'll do pretty good and if you don't on average you won't. It's why I've posted on here a time or two before how do you get the label Professional Hunter or whatever like those tv show guys self claim themselves, because they have the money somehow to hunt places we could never. There are no professional hunters. I like Bear55 a ton and still want to destroy some michelob in the future with ya Bear, your idea is truly interesting, our obvious problem in MN with deer hunting is we are all sitting closer to each other than we did 25 years ago and we have 10,000 lakes that take up a lot of deer ground.

I very much agree with you guys, the land you hunt can have a great influence on what you are shooting. If you don't have access to prime land you have to do things a little different. My hunting season and scouting revolves around finding where a buck can get some age to him. I hunt 100% public land so this isn't an easy task. So be it walking a mile+ way back, taking a canoe to get away from the crowd, finding a little hide out right under the other hunters nose, or going an bow only area where everyone can only shoot 40-50 yards, I will do what I have to do to find a buck or two. I am alwasy on the lookout for places like this, I just wish there were more of them around. I kind of gave up on the APR/QDM debate, it's the same old argument year after year. I don't really care what anyone shoots, I just wish there were a few more deer around so a few more bucks slip through the cracks, if they do I have a chance. When deer numbers are very low it doesn't bode well for public land hunting. Maybe it's time to head out of state, not sure though, I kind of take pride in pounding public land and taking a nice buck.

Anyway the bow only zone would be a fun idea, I doubt it would go anywhere but just imagine being able to hunt a place like Ripley all season long. Or at least going to camp out for a week. No doubt it would be crawling with other bowhunters but there are a lot more seams for those deer to sneak through when the rifles aren' blazing.

MB we are on for a beer for sure, I will shoot you a PM if I can figure out how to use them.

Believe it or not, Ripley used to be open for an extended period each year. This was early-on before the 2 days hunts. Guys could come and go as they pleased. I've heard plenty of stories. My grandpa killed his biggest buck in there back then. Shot under a huge piebald buck too. It would be great to have an opporunity like this again. We also have a lot more bowhunters today to satisfy, hence the move towards the regulated 2 day hunts.

I did not know that Stick that would be sweet to be able to hunt Ripley for an extended period. Dealing with a lot more hunters I am use to, hunting land that holds a solid population of mature bucks I am not. I've been to Ripley a couple of times, might go back but I am not sure the two day hunt is for me. Too many people and too much luck involved, now if I could scout that place out and then hunt that would be some fun stuff.

I would love to see more bow only zones!! Public land only though, I would never advocate for controlling private land like that. There is the schoolcraft by bemidji and various city hunts around the state. FYI the DNR just purchased 1000 acres surrounding La salle lake. I attended their open house a few days ago and asked about them making that area archery only. We will see how it goes. You can fill out the public input survey form on the DNR HSOforum and ask them to make it an archery only area!!

Ripley and other archery only areas are proof in pudding to the kind of bucks that can grow in those areas. Plus its nice to have a public land area that you can escape to from the orange army thats like a swarm of locusts every fall on public land.

Just grabbed my outdoor news, almost 50% of the bucks in there were taken by bow long before orange army and boy if you hunt by bow Oct.25th-Nov2nd seem to really be "thee time". I think I need to get the dust off the bow and join the growing ranks. I just have to quit coaching football.