• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Run began in 2000.

Crappie Rage

Thanks Guys! Kansas gun started yesterday. I will let you know next week what it sounds like. Heading down tonight try to shoot a couple does. Don't think there is anywhere near the pressure. If you are a non resident, you pick your season and that is it. Muzzy(in Sept), bow or gun. One buck for everyone and no party hunting that I know of. You can bow hunt during gun season.

Residents can hunt all seasons with one tag all across the state. Non residents with 80 acres can hunt all seasons on their land only. My area can buy 2 doe tags also.

Nice run indeed Crappie rage,hope it continues for you. Should call you Whitetail rage. LMAO! Nonteepical, Sounds like a run I can handle when the deer don't show up. Thanks for posting you guys and great pic's as well.

Crappie... is there low hunting pressure in Kansas simply because there aren't many hunters? It seems odd to me that a state that is so well known for producing big deer has low hunting pressure?

How are the out of state tag prices compared to say, Iowa? Iowa runs well over $300.. doesn't it?

Nice run there crappierage. I envy you. Ive hunted all the states mentioned but Kansas. As for Iowa,I didnt put in for it this year but its around $600.00 for non res. But every bit worth it.

Never forget my first trip there like 12 years ago, I shot a low 130's and was ribbed by the inlaws for shooting a lil one. I didnt know what they had until the next time I hunted with them during gun season. It was unreal the deer seen on the drives they made. And this isnt in the "TROPHY" portion of the state. They take usually 1 booner a year. Last years was a high 170s and one in the high 150's that they regret taking after the fact.

You have to hunt there to see the difference and understand why we push for a different management plan in MN.

crappie rage, when you get back, could you take us through the trespass fee on unscouted land in Wyoming? You just pay a landowner to bop around on his land and then see what you've got? Sounds like the hunting equivalent of "Storage Wars" in a cool way. Maybe I'm off, help me out.

I've got two preference points for Iowa, but haven't applied the last couple years. People that haven't hunted there sometimes just don't get it. I remember telling a bowhunting buddy one year when I went down on MN gun opener for my first hunt that year, and passed a couple smaller bucks the first day, including an 8 pt that would have netted in the upper one-thirty neighborhood, probably would have gone 140. I never took the bow off the hook. He drug out the old saw "don't pass on the first day what you'd shoot on the last day". I just said man, you've never hunted Iowa have you?

I can't agree more with mabr and propster. The TV shows that always brag about Iowa aren't exaggerating. I just moved to Iowa this summer and the hunting here is awesome. I hunt public land, and I've seen more mature bucks this fall than I did in 11 years hunting private land in SE MN. Now all I have to do is shoot one. Hunting the first two weeks of Nov without gun hunters disrupting the rut is awesome. I'm already looking forward to next Nov and this season isn't even done yet.

If you come across $600 I would recommend putting it toward a nonresident Iowa license.

Mitch, what part of the state are you living/hunting? Might be able to turn you on to even more good stuff. Some of the best bucks I've seen were on state ground. And you are correct, getting to hunt all of November with no guns is heaven.

KS report. Friday morning was the third day of the KS firearm season. Friday morning only heard about 8-10 shots. A couple could have been duck hunters. Saw on group of 4 guys making a drive. They had shot a doe.

Friday night only heard a couple shots. I did shoot a doe fawn as I try to get one of those every year. Brother shot a coyote and we seen 4 others.

Saturday woke up to pouring rain and it was supposed to rain all day. Seen a few guys driving around in their trucks that morning probably road hunting. At least they had their orange on. We packed up and headed home at about 9 am.

DaChisel - In Wyoming we were tipped off to an outfitter who had land 70 miles from where he outfits that was almost never hunted. Paid him to hunt there but had to scout it from aerials and upon arriving. Did shoot a big whitetail and my mulie on that property. Shot another big mulie on property we just asked and got permission.

Forgot to answer a question. Non resident Kansas license is $320 and another $50 for each doe you want to shoot. You might have to buy a hunting license also at $70. Not sure because I buy the non resident hunt your own land tag.

If you buy the non resident hunt your own land tag it is $77 and the doe tags are still $50 each.