• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Piebald?

Was out on the Horseshoe chain today and caught a white sunfish. It's not an albino as it does have a little color on it's sides,and the ear flaps are black. It's not pale or faded. It is white.
Has anyone else seen this in the fish world.

------------------
Bob

><}}}'>

I also have caught them on the Chain. I call them mud sunfish. I don't know if that is the name or not. I have caught them on other lakes too. These may just be sunfish that spend a lot of time in the shallows causing them to pale out.

More than likely a color mutation. This happens in nature if there is a gene available to support this color phase. I had a springer spaniel that was liver and white...his bloodline was that color for several generations. Bred that ol boy with another springer of liver/white and same situtation history wise. One of the pups turned out to be black and white. Same thing with that sunfish....I'll bet it tastes just like a sunnie too. Coery, Crappies spawning there yet? Just starting down here, but with all the rain we've gotten and the resultant high water I think things will be held up a bit.37 degrees right now, so the temp and wind will settle things as well.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

CrappieTom, I am heading north this weekend. It's a walleye trip but I am going to make it a Crappie,Sunfish hunt too. If it's like last year the Crappies will stage in deep water and at evening they slide up to feed. Last year we had a hard time getting any Crappies under 12 inches. I hope to get some good pics if I'm lucky enough. I'll post a report when I get back. All my Plastics are ready to go! smile.gif

Good luck to you all!

Corey