• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Kind of Oil?

baitcaster

I picked up two newer sleds this year. A 2007 Polaris IQ 600 EFI. and a 2004 500ss GSX ski Doo. I am trying to decide which kind of oil to put in them. Polaris VES oil is $45 a gallon and Ski Doo oil isn't any better costwise . Do I really need to spend that kind of money on oil? Are there other products out there that are comprable and high quality that you use in your sleds?

I use Amsoil Interceptor in my Ski Doo.

It has 14,000 on the original bottom end without a problem.

There are other less expensive brands, but Amsoil is slightly cheaper than OEM oils and yields great longevity and cleaner exhaust valves than other oils I've used in the past.

I've found dealers that sell it for 33 or 34 a gallon if I buy a case, or Fleet Farm has it for 39 in singles.

I use Cenex Snow Max PV, the last time I bought a case it cost $22 per gallon if I'm not mistaken but that was close to a couple years ago now.

I've used it in my last 2 sleds ( Mtn Cat 900 and M1000 ) with no issues at all, power valves are clean. Most of the guys in our crew use it too and a couple use Amsoil, nobody has had any issues.

Mike

Baitcaster,

I've got a 19yr. old polaris with 9k mi (I said 10k in another thread bu looked and it's on 9k so guess I'll have to baby her until she gets "broke in"). I've also got a 30 yr. old auger, a 22 yr. old Merc outboard, and a 25 yr. old chainsaw that cut wood as my sole heat source for 10 or 11 yr. I use quality, name brand oils (synthetics for the past 10 yr.) and all the engines I have (and they are many) get the same oil. Those 4 engines provide me with enough evidence to believe the the magic is not in the oil being burned but in the maintenance and care of the engines burning the oil. JMO