• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog ate fish carcass

Ryan_V

My shorthair ate the remains of a 19" walleye I had caught and cleaned the other day. It was in the trash, but the wind yesterday tipped it over. I didn't know what she had eaten right away, but figured it out today. We went out hunting and she was continually #2ing, with some blood. she seems ok, maybe a little lethargic, but she has eaten like her normal self. Is there something I should watch for/do/not do? thanks for any advice!

You should go in to your vet and have it checked out as there could potentially be multiple things causing the bleeding. Bones can get stuck in multiple spots in the digestive tract. My concern is your comment on your dog being lethargic Cheap insurance if everything checks out and is ok.

I always used to feed my dogs fish carcasses while I was cleaning them, until I realized that they cause bad worm problems. I've never had issues with bloody p00p though! My dogs are always eating some kind of wild animal, chicken bones, etc., and I've never had problems with bleeding internally.

Personally, I'd give it a few days before I'd spend money on a vet bill.

Most dangerous outcome would be a perforated bowel and infection.

It can come on very quickly... like overnight.

So ....I would be taking the dogs temp (what fun !) every couple of hours.

And for sure tommorrow am. before I left.

If its spiking, I'd go to the vet.

Vet checkup, cheap.

If there is a problem, can be expensive.

If there is a problem and the dog doesn't see the vet, you may end up with a dead dog.

Bloody stool is enough warning sign for me to get on the phone with the vet at least. Don't forget that calling is free!