• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Pro4 transporting

Red_Eye

Just purchase a Jiffy Pro 4 and actually have not recieved it yet. A question for those that have a Jiffy Pro 4 Propane ice auger. The manual says to store and transport with the spark plug up while transporting due to the possibility of oil running out. This appears to be on the narrow side of the handles with a higher center of gravity. How have you Pro 4 owners been transporting and if you have been transporting laying down with the wider footprint any issues?

I just prop mine up against something when I'm transporting, and I have a small bungee wrapped around the handles that I use to hold it up against the side of a sled I have. I've had it tipped some various times with no issue...so far:) I know I've heard of leaks, I'll continue to try to not lay it on it's side, and for sure not plug-down. I store it standing up in a partially drilled hole when I'm out on the ice, and in the garage. Not in a hole in the garage, of course:)

Yes storage will be vertical. I was questioning transporting like on a 4 wheeler rack or in the back of a pick-up. I have Mad Dog auger holders on my 4 wheeler and my old ice auger I layed it with the widest width on the rack. It just seems odd to have to transport with the narrowest position.

Thanks for the reply.

I just prop mine up against something when I'm transporting, and I have a small bungee wrapped around the handles that I use to hold it up against the side of a sled I have. I've had it tipped some various times with no issue...so far:) I know I've heard of leaks, I'll continue to try to not lay it on it's side, and for sure not plug-down. I store it standing up in a partially drilled hole when I'm out on the ice, and in the garage. Not in a hole in the garage, of course:)

I would be very careful about storing the auger in the hole while on the ice. There have been many augers with bent shafts due to getting frozen into the hole.

I would be very careful about storing the auger in the hole while on the ice. There have been many augers with bent shafts due to getting frozen into the hole.

I also hate walking across a frozen lake and finding a partially drilled hole, with only shavings setting in it, with my ankle...

We've done it forever...just don't drill deep enough to get water in it...no problem.

As for stepping in it...how is my "auger" hole any different from the other 4 (or 8, or 12...) holes I left that I actually fished out of? How about keeping your eyes open??

It's different because the shavings that fill the hole are usually white and blend in with the snow around them, and when you step on the shavings they move freely away like water. Also they stay open the entire season making the chances of someone stepping in them even more greater. A fully drilled hole is usually black and you're able to see it as your walking up to it. Also they will freeze over in a day and will no longer be a safety issue.

Trust me, I'm the most visually observant person you will probably ever meet, and usually see things that don't look right. But when you're walking and don't see one until you step in it twist your ankle and bang your shin, you will realize it is a huge safety issue. It is especially bad at night when flashlights don't show everything.