• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Still worth fishing?

Stick in Mud

Hello all,

I don't fish all that seriously for catfish...usually just throw a line out and wait til something starts swimming away. And I don't know much about them, either, so that's why I'm asking the question: Are they still biting? I have heard from others that the fall can be a very slow time for them, so that's why I'm posting on here...figure you guys will know better than my neighbor. smile

I usually fish off the dock behind the house...which is north of the Sartell dam if that matters. It's pretty deep off the docck, but there's not much current, and the boat is put away, so I can't go cruising around.

Should I freeze my butt off one night and go throw out some cutbait?

Carmike

I haven't fished them enough during this time frame to say either way. Based on your location though and where you fish, you are fishing for channel cats, and they will most certainly bite all year round.

We caught a couple walleye fishing the other day, but I haven't targeted them specifically.

Usually this time of year the fish start schooling up in deeper holes. If your dock has some deeper water nearby, I think you should still be able to catch em.

like Dtro said channel cats will bite year round. that is why they are so popular on the sauk river chain(horseshoe & cedar island mainly) during the ice season. from the coon rapids dam back up river to the source you only have channels cats. I fish from clearwater to elk river and for me it seems to slow down around october when the temp of the water starts to drop. during this time I take a break from fishing and begin to get my ice gear ready for the up coming season. the biggest thing is to find a current seam. if you have this with in casting distance of the dock then you might get lucky and catch some. try cut suckers, chicken livers, or even dip baits (secret 7(made by team catfish) to me is the best dip bait out there).

Thanks for the info, Brad. There is very little current up here, especially in low water when the dam isn't open--so there aren't many current seams. It's mostly just slow water with a nice drop-off.

I might just end up waiting until ice fishing. I saw some skim ice on the little ponds on my way to work, so it shouldn't be too long now. smile

Carmike if your schedule is free the first saturday of march I would recommend you check out the HSO "Cool Cats" event hosted by Borch. Watch for the thread about this in the get together/events forum. also maybe Dtro can give you some general tips on the chain. check out his You Tube videos on ice fishing cats.

Thanks for the note, Brad. I've been intersted in attending the event for a few years now, but each year something has come up that prevents me from going. Hopefully this year I'll be able to make it...I've watched some of the videos, and it looks like a great time. Plus, it'd be nice to meet some folks from this forum. smile