• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Searching for Crappies

This weekend I might finally have some time to get on the ice. I might just start wandering and see what lake I end up on. If it is a small lake should I look shallow yet? If it's a big lake should I start looking at sharp drops in front of feeder creeks, or shallow flats?
Just wondering what you guys would do.

Why not try and make it over too the metro get together?It should be a good time?

If not, I would try shallow this time of year and work deeper till you find them.
Try anything that imitates insects.

Just my .o2 cents worth.

CM

Well Corey...

If you live out west...I'd take hiway 10 east till you hit 35w and than go north till you hit Forrest lake and hiway 8 to the east.look at the other directions on the metro forums from there.Alot will show up..so i hope too see you there!

CM

Yep, Chisago is a good drive from Big Lake. We are not fishing until about 10am, we are meeting for breakfats before hand between 8-8:30am, and then heading to the lake from there. It might be a long drive if your intentions are for bigger fish, a good majority of the fish you will catch out on South Lindstrom are going to be small to medium where we are fishing. But you can catch a lot of fish. It will be a good time regardless, a good chance to meet some new people and put a few faces to names you see here on FM day in and day out.

If you decide to go then drop me an e-mail and I can get you exact directions. Take care!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

delmuts- Matt had to unexpectedly leave town frown.gif. All the info is in the metro forum. Everything will stay as planned and MJ will make it if he can.

------------------
If I only had more time!

Brian Rogers

Well I made it out on Saturday to brave the wind. Moving around was tricky in the wind but I managed to fish a few different areas of the lake. First I started looking shallow, real shallow. I found some good sized sunfish up there in 4 feet of water a foot under the ice. Then as evening drew near I moved out to a weedline in search of crappies. They weren't there so I moved to a deeper flat adjacent to shallow water and BINGO, crappies. You really had to work for them, they were 3 to 7 feet off the bottom. Horizontal glow jigs with 2 larvae worked best. Minnows managed a few with more misses than hookups.
I hope to head out this week to see if anything has changed. I'm sure things will be heating up closer to the shallows. We'll see.