• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bought 3 quail for my 10 month old dog.. Any advice?

Kylersk

It really depends on what your intent is. If you want it to simply point the bird then I would pull the primary feathers and dizzle so you could reuse the bird. They might fly a short distance but should be able to catch them if your fast enough. If not your fishing landing net works well. If you intent to point and flush to shoot then simply dizzying them after leaving a trail scent should hold them long enough. Make sure you are not trying to do this in too tall of grass . Its ok for them to sight them as well. Of course you already know to work them into the wind. Mornings are best if there is dew as moist ground holds scent better then dry.

If you flush and shoot, have a partner do the shooting so you can focus on your dog. Also make sure you are away from any roads. The dog doesnt understand the "no bird" command and if your shooter doesnt make the kill your dog might chase. A young dog chasing a flying bird doesn't look both way before crossing busy hiways smile

glock

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I have some advise,

buy a few more quail and keep a few in a one way entry cage. The released quail will try to return to their covey. The one way let's them in and doesn't let them out.

At ten months old if yo9ur dog has not been introduced to birds yet it should be all fun with some no pressure training tossed in smile

Probably a little late, but...

Unless you know they are GOOD flying quail, I wouldn't use them for anything besides a pups first time. I had a bunch of terrible flyers this year that I ended up killing and using for gun intro.

Did you introduce your dog to gun fire prior to taking it hunting?

My dad bought 2 quail 30 some years ago to use with our Brittney Spaniel – Bandit. Well my dad kept them in a box in the back room of the house and we would take them out and work Bandit on the quail. One day we returned home to find feathers all over the basement. Someone had some real fun. Nothing was found of the 2 quail-just feathers all over. Must have eaten the evidence grin Fast forward 3 days later and Bandit locks up on the most solid point you have ever seen in the den closet grin There was still one quail left to work him with grin

Bandit was the very best dog I ever hunted over.

Good to hear these dog stories

Steve

Well, that didnt work like I wanted. The quail didnt move once my dog found them. My daughter got to learn how to clean quail though! wink

Yes, my dog has been introduced to gun fire. I started him off with a starters pistol and gradually worked him up to firing a 12gauge over him.

Quail are tough to work with out launchers, unless you have really good fliers. You could try carding pigeons in an open area, or buy some chukar they cost a little more but it is better than having the dog catch them. Also I would try to work him across the wind from where you planted the bird to try to prevent him from roading in on the bird.

Even with a launcher, quail that don't fly well are not what you want. Find someone who traps pigeons or trap your own and use pigeons instead. Just make sure you use them within a few days. Even pigeons turn into crappy flyers after more than 5 days in a cage.