• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Went and got a lab pup

tacklejunkie

A co-worker who has more experience with labs helped me pick it out. So far, it has had a pigeon and a starter pistol and loves it. What age can I start obedience training? I picked up some books and stuff. It's 12 weeks old and a male.

Mostly it will be a fishing partner but I will use it quite a bit for grouse hunting next fall.

Any dos and don'ts will help, also

Now.

The next 4 weeks are some of the most important for laying a foundation of obedience training down. The four commands you really need to teach and enforce are sit, stay, here, heel. All other training and hunting are only branches off of that training.

Good Luck!

Ken

Ken nailed it. However I would like to add this, simplify your commands. In other words lets drop one of the commands Ken mentions.

Lets drop the command stay. When you tell your new friend to SIT well, sit means sit.

Start the sit command every time you feed him/her. When you place

the feed bowl in front of your new friend, you softly say sit and push the butt down. At first you will hold it for a few seconds only, then lengthen the time. Soon after that you should be able to say sit and he will do so. You release him with OK.

Being from N. Duluth you should look up the Duluth retriever club. They do have a HSOforum. Each year their club does something called train the trainer for newbies. They do a fantastic job with that. Plus there is a wealth of knowledge in that club, one of them is a very good friend of mine who would be happy to help you out.

GOOD LUCK!!

My youngest just came back from hunting and had two grouse so we threw the bird for the pup and shot the gun from a safe distance.

No signs of gunshyness and very eager retriever. I'm gonna enjoy having a dog to grouse hunt with next fall and to fish with now that my kids are older and grown up

For those with more experience with dog training, what's your opinion on taking him to a shooting preserve for planted birds next spring? Will he be too young for pheasants in early May? He's 13 weeks now