• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies in Small Lakes

Matt Johnson

I fished a small 150 acre or so lake today for crappies. The lake only gets 23 feet deep and is full of nice size crappies and gills. Finding crapppies in small lakes can be easy.

First, look for the deepest water. Most of time the fish will relate to these areas in some way, whether it is directly or adjacent to the deep water. Crappies will suspend over deep holes or roam the soft bottom deep pockets. In smaller lakes with less oxygen these deeper holes provide oxygen for fish throughout winter and not only do these spots attract crappies, they also attract baitfish and forage for crappies to feed on.

The deepest parts of the lake are not always the only spots that hold fish either, some of these smaller lakes have some nice structure in them as well. Small bays, humps, bars, stumps, points, these are all examples of fish holding structure that fish will relate to in smaller lakes just as they would in larger lakes.

Small stained lakes can give up some excellent fishing, especially for crappies and gills. Fish will vacate the shallows early because of diminishing oxygen and they will relocate over mid depth flats and roam the outside edges of the deeper holes. After a short period of time a majority of the fish will find themselves moving towards the deeper holes where they will stay for most of winter.

Late ice can provide some awesome fishing in these small lakes. Runoff drives the fish crazy and the big gills will come out to play. Don't be surprised if you hook into a lunker largemouth either, it has been known to happen.

These smaller lakes are like little gems in the country, and should be treated with respect. Make sure selective harvest and proper catch and release are applied when fishing these lakes. Its important to follow those guidelines, that way these small gems will have the same excellent fishing in the future.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 12-26-2003).]

Great topic Matt.

Crappies in small lakes can also be just as hard as they can be easy, especially if those lakes are struture-starved and bowl like.

I think success on structure challenged lakes has alot to do with how well the angler knows the body of water and also how large or dense of a population there is too.

My technique for unfamiliar waters is to go to the deepest hole adjacent from a classic spring time spot, start about 30 yards off the north end break, and punch holes in a northerly direction until I land on some fish.

It works well for the most part, but I don't doubt finding fish wouldn't be alot easier if Matt was on the same lake. smile.gif

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Matt (and others)-

When during the Winter does the oxygen level begin to diminish. Is it while there is still weed growth or after the weeds have been choked out. IF there are still weeds present, should a guy keep to the weed lines or will the deep pockets hold the fish? I have been trying about everything on a little lake with a good population of craps and it has almost zero fishing pressure but I can't get them to bite. I have graphed a few fish in the shallows but they could be slimers. The water is very clear. Any suggestions? I plan to try the deep pockets tonight.

jlm,

Ice thickness, sunlight, dying weeds, part of the lake, snow cover, these are a few things that can determine the oxygen levels in a lake as well as a few others. There can still be weeds there are you still might not find fish. And, there might not be any weeds there and you might find fish. I know this sounds confusing but what I'm trying to say is that weeds won't always produce fish. In small lakes, its best to search out for deeper water instead of stick it out with weeds. Although there will still be weeds in shallower water, you can find weeds in deeper water as well in these shallower lakes. Find the breakline in deeper water off from the shallow weeds. Punch holes to find out how deep the weeds go, then hit those areas instead of hitting the thick weeds. Often times I'll just bypass the weeds all together and head for the deep holes and deeper structure in small lakes. Since you are fishing a clear lake I would hit the deeper pockets. With no snow cover like we are experiencing now, those fish will be spooked in the shallows and relocate in deeper water. The weeds will most likely be deeper in a clear lake as well and the deep weeds will hold some fish during the earlier parts of the ice season. If you locate fish on the deep weeds mark the spot and once the fish vacate those areas they will find deeper water nearby. And like UJ said, the deep holes and structure closest to the weeds will hold a good concentration of fish on a lot of these small lakes. Those fish you are marking in the shallows could be perch, or even suckers, I've seen them hug the bottom in some of these small creek fed lakes. Hit the deep pockets and try to locate the deepest parts of the weeds. Find where the weeds stop and a new bottom begins, that transition area will hold fish sometime during the season, if not throughout a large majority of the season until the weeds fully die off. Good luck!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Well, I gave the little lake one more try. I fished in and around the deepest hole in the lake and did not even graph one fish. I began right before sunset and quit a couple hours later. Tried everything except dynamite! I give up. Maybe it will hit better later in the year. I do have one other little lake to try, I might get out there next week. Thanks for the tips amd the help. Good luck!