• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swivel on glow devil or angel eye??

tonkabach

I've used swivels on spoons in the past and haven't noticed any real difference in fish reaction. Depending on the size of the spoon though. A small spoon might not be the best choice for a swivel, it may alter the action and can be more noticable to the fish. But with most sizes you should be ok. How do you tie your spoons on? I haven't noticed any heavy spinning when using Glow Devils or Angel Eyes, maybe we can work a few things out.

If you are going to use a swivel, tie the swivel on the end of your line and then add a 2-foot section of line to the end of the swivel that will attach to your spoon. That way you have a 2 foot gap between your spoon and swivel and that way it is out of the fish's line of sight and still takes away the spinning without placing the swivel close to the spoon. I use this on swimming lures and it really improves your catch. Fish don't like the lure spinning, its not natural. Just little adjustments, but they can go a long ways.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 12-09-2003).]

Don't use a swivel. My experience has been that using a swivel withing 4 ft of your spoon is not a good idea. Having it any farther away decreases the effectiveness of it.

I would suggest you do this...Use it as a jigging spoon and let it pause, make sure you let it pause. Every time you reel up, let it unwind before sending it back down (it goes fast) This is a good thing to do with any type of hook/spoon/jig you are using in the winter. I think you will find this very effective.

A little bit of spin on a vertical jig or spoon is not a bad thing. Of course, this is different if you are using a horizonal presentation.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

I know this is a bit off subject BUT

spinning spoons = bad

spinning rat finkies = good. smile.gif

When the bite is slow but I see "lookers" on the vex, I will take the line between my thumb and pointer finger and roll the line back and forth. STOP, then wait. when the rat finkie slows down its spin, wathc for a lift bite.

ive outfished many people side by side using this approach on finicky lift biters.

No swivel. A split ring is needed though, to allow secure knots and giving the spoon action. What little twist you get will undo itself while hanging down the hole. At times I use a swivel to add mono leader to a super line. But when useing a flasher the swivel is always present on the screen. I'm not real big on that either.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

This may be because Rat Finkee's are a horizontal jig, so the fish thinks the minnow is swimming in a circle, not just spinning. I have never had a good experience with any jig that is spinning aside from spearing with a teaser!

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
http://www.geocities.com/northcountryguides