• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What else should I do

jac714

OK, I hit a deadhead last weekend on the Mississippi, hit it at about 25 mph, hard enough impact to kick the motor up on the emergency release of the trim system.

The only noticeable result of the impact was that the voltage regulator failed, which I have replaced and retested and that problem is fixed. The dealer said this could happen due to the engine over speed when the prop came out of the water.

I changed the lower unit lube to check for metal fragments in the lower unit, none found. I checked the runout on the prop shaft and it is normal.

After an inwater test I found that the inlet hole for the speedo was plugged with wood from the deadhead, cleaned out the hole and it seems to be working fine.

I spent the day on the river today with no problems so I think I dodged the bullet this time.

Is there anything else I should do and/or check??

Thanks, I have run it in forward and reverse and everything seems fine.

I am not sure I want to tell my agent as it seems every time I talk to Farmers my rates go up.

I think I managed to get lucky for once and dodge this bullet.

OK, I hit a deadhead last weekend on the Mississippi, hit it at about 25 mph, hard enough impact to kick the motor up on the emergency release of the trim system.

What kind of Motor do you have? Can you (or anybody) decribe the emergency release system? How it works, and what type of impact is required to activate it? I've never heard of this before and I was wondering if my motor is equiped with that feature. My motor is a 1998 Merc 115hp 2-stroke. Thanks.

Is there anything else I should do ?? [/quote

Other than thank your lucky stars? Nope. Most folks, myself included, end up with a very big repair bill when hitting a deadhead. I've only done it once, ten years ago, but it was over 6K and a BIG hassle with my insurance company at the time. Anyhow, good to hear you dodged a bullet this time.

Thanks, I have run it in forward and reverse and everything seems fine.

I am not sure I want to tell my agent as it seems every time I talk to Farmers my rates go up.

I think I managed to get lucky for once and dodge this bullet.

I do not know if all insurance companies are the same but I had a claim on my boat and my agent told me that my insurance would never go up on my boat policy due to a claim. I have State farm insurance.

I do not believe I want another claim to test that though as it seems their policy rules can change from time to time.

Can you (or anybody) decribe the emergency release system? How it works, and what type of impact is required to activate it?

As far as I know, just about all Hydraulic Trim & Tilt units have this function.. it's my understanding it's like a relief valve and prevents the cylinder rod from buckling.

marine_man

I know I am amazingly lucky in this case. When I hit I was sure I had holed the boat and destroyed the motor. Total cost of this event is less than $200.

Well all I can say is I am thankful it was not worse. Thanks for the good ideas.