• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mississippi Backwaters Sunnies...

CrappieJohn

Three of us went to the backwaters below Kellogg this morning and were met with outstanding success. The fish wanted hair jigs and we fed them. I began counting fish when I had already caught about 30 and quite counting when I reached 125, but still fished for another hour or so. I think a conservative estimate would fall somewhere in the range of 175 fish per person....they were absolutely nuts today and we could have caught fish until our hands were bloody from taking them off the hooks. All three of us has raw mitts when we quit. The water was cooled down to 72 degrees and the fish were all caught at about 2 feet deep in about five feet of water. Not much for crappie action though. The few we got were so-so size-wise and came to the hair jig as well. We had been getting some crappie action at this place, but it has since slowed. Lots and lots of sunnies more than make up for it. Really a great day to fish.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

We had a similar experience on Blackduck lake this last Sunday. We were catching both crappies and sunnies. The sunnies were as big as my hand (I'm 6'4" 300 lbs) and fought like the devil. My partner thought he had a big fish on every time. We had a blast. Ended up taking home 7 nice crappies (we thru back any under 12") and 25 sunnies, and 1 14" walleye. We only fished for a little over 3 hours.

Hey Tom you really did make em' call for the lip balm didn't you?!?! smile.gif Good deal guy.

Starting now is when fishing really starts to get fun! I am looking forward to October, and definatly anxious to head down for some tight lines and good times.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Sloop, We did pretty good on crappies on Blackduck last winter. I actually did better on BD than I did on Red Lake and not a crowd in sight. We fish the big island on the west end found em in the same place this summer. Also caught a 6lb smallie on the east side on sharp drop-off just off the big weed bed mid summer this year. BD is a good little lake and not often crowded.
Good luck !
Exzoni

I finally got the twenty horse out of the shop this morning and went to our local puddle, The Zumbro, to do a test run and fish a little. The crappies had been reported to be deep, but I found them IN wood in 14 or less feet of water. Fishing the perimeter yielded only about ten fish and they were only mediocre in size. When I began vertically dropping the jig/tube in the thick of things I immediately began getting bigger fish and could have easily kept a limit of 12-13 inchers, but I have some yet in the freezer,soooo.The lake was very warm late this fall, but has now turned and even without much rain, the water is tinged up pretty good and there are lots of leaves on the water. The next two or three weeks will find me out there more now that the power has been restored. Gotta love this fall fishing, don't ya?

------------------
[email protected]

Was at the Alma dam for some waldo action this morning and finally threw in the towel and went to the backwaters for some craps/sunfish action and found it to be as good as the last time. Plain hair jigs did the trick again and no need for meat. The water in this particular section of backwaters was still a balmy 64 degrees....to warm yet for the good fall fishing, but that will probably be changing this weekend. The river is very low and we need rain. Without the wind, there would have been no movement at all on the water where we were fishing.Nice day to be out and yes we did get some nice craps

------------------
[email protected]