• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No lower unit gear lube

#fishhunt#

I was winterizing my 1993 115 Merc this weekend and went to change the lower unit gear lube and there was hardly an ounce in there and a small amount of water. I went and got new washers when I replaced the lube. I drove my boat about 3 miles last weekend and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. There was not metal shavings on the bottom magnet. Did I get luck or is it something I should have looked at?

When I pulled the lower screw I noticed that the washer was tore. That is why I replaced the washer. It had to have leaked from there. They make new washer now that are more of a plastic coated steel instead of the old ones that seem like cloth. I keep it on a boat lift all year so it was never on a trailer all summer. I never looked at the lower unit when it was on the lift. Probably should have but never thought to. I will from now on.

Did you take off the prop and look for fishing line? Discarded fishing line in our lakes is the primary reason that we take out the rear seals in the outboards. I wouldn't be suprised it you had a big ball of line on your propshaft. Water in the lower unit can rust out your bearings and drive, and might show up later on.