• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Panfish and noise

Has anyone else noticed that sunfish especially larger fish can be extremely sensitive to boat noise on smaller bodies of water/bays. I had a recent experience where I was in a shallow backwater bay and every time a boat came into the bay with its motor running the crappies would not bite a thing for 30 minutes or so, then would get hot on the bite again. Lucky for me the boats that came into the bay with thier motors running would also not catch a thing and leave the bay. Once gone I would just wait 20-30 minutes and start catching large crapies on every cast. Catch and release of course. Just thought I would see if anyone has had a similar experience and share my own.

You didn't mention whether the lake was clear or stained. I think that the clearer the body of water, the more susceptable fish are to noises associated to boats. Certain areas of lakes can be prone to the problem too, especially shallow , secluded bays where traffic is minimal. I fish a lake where boat noise starts when the first hole big enough for a boat forms in the ice. We catch fish while the local waterski club dorks are rehearsing. Every lake has its own character, but if the trick is to wait until the other boats leave your bay, don't tell anyone where you are fishing. Good fishing...Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

They sure are weary of the noise, especially in the clear lakes. Was on a lake in Wisconsin today where we where catching sunnies in 4 feet of water, there where crappies in there to, but water was so clear if you made a move the crappies would scatter and you would never catch them.

The sunnies where on top of the water you could see there fins. They where feeding on plankton at the surface or larvae. We hammered them on our flyrods. We also caught some on our ultralight rigs with pounders and fat boy ice jigs.

As far as them crappies where gonna try them at dark some night. Might be an option for you to shorelinefisher.

Last night I was panfishing on Buffalo about 25' out from shore over a 5' deep weedy flat with some success (moderately stained water) when I got a nice smallie that required I stand up in the boat to guide it around my daughter's rod. Next thing ya know - two teenagers cut into my area between me & shore and start casting to the edge of where I was catching. The bite shut down. I'm sure it was the motor noise.

I have a crappie in my tank with some rockbass, and the crappie spooks super easy and won't eat if someone in the room moves, or if a shadow is cast into the tank.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Yea, whenever we would cast to the fish they would scatter all over, and a few bass boats had to come right next to us. They thought we where catching bass, then we would try to follow the schools. some people just dont get it.