• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling for crappies

lakevet

Hey everyone,

Any tips on trolling for crappies instead of the traditional drifting? I know a few old timers who troll for them with jigs or downsized spinners like you would use for walleyes. I have had best luck in the dog days of summer but have been thinking it might work at other times. Any thoughts?

lakevet

take a kid or senior fishing smile.gif

Hello,

There is an "impoundment" that we fish for "pannies" in. It is a trolling motor olnly lake with a ton of submerged trees and shoreline etc.

Spinners are a good tactic, but try pulling around a #5 or #7 Original Floating Rapala over and around key crappie spots.

Once they are done with there spawn, they should fan out some, including the suspending gig. So slow trolling small raps, might be a new way to incorporate into your bag of tricks?

Jim W

Late July and August. That is when this described tactic will slay the slabs.

From the 2nd week of July through September is thee very best time of year for Crappies in my opinion. And trolling slowly as you described is one good way to put alot of Crappies in the boat.

Mid July you may need to follow closer and along breaklines, points, bars, and weed edges, while in August you can get out in the 15-22 foot flats and drag her along just about anywhere and pick up Crappies.

Springtime Crappies can be fun, but them mid to late summers evenings and days is where the Crappie action really takes a run for the records. This is when free casting a 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig and countin' it down til' it snaps is also a fun and key way to put the fish in the tank.

She's a ways off yet though, as this pre-spawn Crappie action slowly takes form into warmer water and spawning fish. Everyday is something different now.

Good luck on opener and stay safe. smile.gif

Jim W. and I frequently fish another "impoundment that as of late has been plaqued with continually rising water and falling water temps. My most recent successes have been credited to simply dragging a tube behind the boat, about five feet deep, either while drifting or by very slowly moving the boat with the electric. The hits are hard and the fish are good keepers, but they are scattered. I guess if the conventional spring crappie fishing is turning out to be a dud, go ahead and try trolling or drifting. Hey...stranger things have taken place in the world.You have to keep looking and learning if you want to stay with the fish. Good fishing...Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait