• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rabbit hunting?

lispeej

I do a decent amount of rabbit hunting in Jan and Feb and the best strategy I've found is to go head to southern MN and hunt people's wood lots behind their houses. Usually these folks are more than happy to have you rid them of rabbits. Get a few buddies to go and have two people post at the end of the lot while the other two push it and flush.

sometimes if you whistle at them they stop. but if you jump one up just shoot it, and then stay in around the same area if you dont hit it. rabbits are territorial and will usually circle back around. i hunt them a lot in the winter with .22's, its a blast.

that's what i was going to say, the whistling part. works most of the time. cant speak for cotton tails but snowshoes usualy dont run far when you jump one. once you jump one just stay still and they have stopped for me with a whistle or go 20 feet or so and stop by themselves. i have only used a .22 on them for head shots. dont like to pick out pellets. good luck.

that's what i was going to say, the whistling part. works most of the time. cant speak for cotton tails but snowshoes usualy dont run far when you jump one. once you jump one just stay still and they have stopped for me with a whistle or go 20 feet or so and stop by themselves. i have only used a .22 on them for head shots. dont like to pick out pellets. good luck.

i like the headshot idea.