• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Acorns?

This weekend I was only able to get out one time because I had a wedding. I decided to hunt a woods that is packed full of white oaks. I knew that this year the acorn crop was very solid in this area but thought with all the wind we had last week they would mostly be on the ground. So I set up right on a ridge that I thought would show me a lot of deer. The entire time I sat there it was raining acorns like mad. The thing that puzzles me is that I saw zero deer. I have hunted this same woods for 3 years now and have always saw many deer on opening weekend (usually 30+ opening weekend). What could be an explanation for the deer not being in the oaks? I sat with a perfect wind for my stand and I am just dumbfounded with the result. I am not discouraged just sort of confused what else they would rather be eating right now than those acorns. Any advice, ideas, or just thoughts to ponder would be appreciated.

A little background info on this piece of property. It is a 120 acre piece and has alfalfa to the south and west central part. The neighboring property is an amish farm that has a HUGE garden and a couple small corn fields. The oaks are abundant on adjacent properties as well.

Thanks for advice in advance!

I also had acorns raining down, but with the undergrowth on the beans still green, they were all still out eating in the beans where I was at. this week things will change with everything browning up. be patient your in the right spot!!