• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison Jerkey Recipes

BuckmasterG

Hey fellas thinking about kicking off the opener with a good ol fashion batch of venison jerky. In the past I've used all different varieties of seasoning and brands, curious to what some of your favorites... jerkey from a roast or ground? Oven, dehydrater smoker? Advice appreciated. Thx.

i think the best place to find out a variety of answers to your question is found on a great thread put on by Shack. look in the cooking and recepies forum and the first thread is the best thread in the whole forum in my opinion for it gives you a variety of choices of jerky threads. it's called HSO's Smoked, Smoking @ Library of Links. just scroll down and you will have a ton of choices for what you need. it should be the first thread on the forum. good luck.

I made a ton on jerky a couple weeks back, tried a few recipes and here was my fav on the dehydrator. I like to use 1/4 inch slices of meat or any scraps you can find. Mix up the marinade and let it sit in the fridge for at least 12 hours, be sure to mix it a few times so everything soaks in.

Marinade

1 cup soy sause

1/4 cup worstureshirespeller?

# tbsp below

5 ketchup

2 salt

2 liquoid smoke

1 garlic powder

1 onion powder

5 your fav hot sause - this was mild so double or triple for more heat.

Dehydrate the heck out it for 6 to 12 hours depending on the size of the batch and thickness of the meat. Now the key, you can eat it right away but if you throw it in a ziplock bag for a few days to a few months it gets even better with age. Enjoy.

VENISON JERKY

5 lbs. venison, sliced thin

3 tsp tender quick

2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp. liquid smoke

1/2 cup spicy brown mustard

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

2 pinches tarragon

1 tsp worcestershire sauce

cut venison into fairly thin slices. mix remaining ingredients. lay strips of venison on broiler pans. coat with sauce, salt and pepper to taste. flip, coat with sauce, pepper and salt again to taste. bake approximately 6 hours at 150 degrees. flip and continue to bake another 4 hours. allow to cool, then place in covered containers or plastic bags. flavor will "peak" in a day or two. [use a dehydrator for this also if you have one]. keep in the fridge for a week or freeze properly for later use.

when using mortons tender quick, no salt or very little is needed. i would recommend using tenderquick [ 3 tsp per 5 pounds ] in all jerkey reciepies. also let the meat and marinade set over night in the fridge. good luck.

I appreciate the suggestions and recipes guys! May have to try a batch of each, I know the toughest part of making jerky in the past for myself was knowing exactly when it was done on the dehydrater, being warm yet I never knew what to look for, as well as my dehydrater not being the best I needed to rotate the trays quite often.

It's the simple little things like #'s of meat per batch, and hours that really help..

Beer55 how many #'s per that recipe?

Reinhard1 I will have to hop over to that forum and see kind of recipes I can find.

Thanks Again!

Goodluck hunting/fishing

BM

Good question, I wish I could answer. I just kind of mix the marinade and start throwing in meat until it looks good. eek If I had to guess I would think it would be in that 5-6lbs range.

As far as pulling the meat off the dehydrator I don't pull anything until it feels pretty firm, any soft or rubbery meat stays on until until they firm up. For me I don't think I have ever had a bad batch so even if you mess up a little it should still turn out mighty tasty.

some guys dont use cures. we had a discustion about that on another thread. i always would go with 1 level tablespoon of mortons tender quick per 1 pound of meat as stated on their package of instructions. when you use tender quick no salt is required if the reciepe calls for salt. also once you have your reciepe ready and all mixed in the meat, let the meat stand in the fridge overnight or at least 12 hours. this lets the cure and the spices set in the meat for better results.

for example Nesco jerkey products come with 1 level tablespoon of tender quick in a seperate pack along with seasoning for one pound of meat. i believe the high mountain brand does the same thing. good luck.

VENISON JERKY

5 lbs. venison, sliced thin

3 tsp tender quick

2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp. liquid smoke

1/2 cup spicy brown mustard

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

2 pinches tarragon

1 tsp worcestershire sauce

when using mortons tender quick, no salt or very little is needed. i would recommend using tenderquick [ 3 tsp per 5 pounds ] in all jerkey reciepies. also let the meat and marinade set over night in the fridge. good luck.