• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Registering a firearm permit.

When you purchase a firearm (not a pistol), you have to fill out a some paperwork. Can anyone give me a link of the pre-requisites to purchasing a firearm. I cant find it online.

ie: no felonies, no mental health issues, no violent crimes ect....

the prerequisite to purchase a long gun in MN is to be 18 years of age, have a valid govt issued picture ID ie: drivers lic, military ID etc. and to have the money to pay for it. You will be requuired to fill out an ATF form 4473 at the point of purchase and a NICS (FBI) background check will be conducted by the dealer, if there are no problems the check takes just a few minutes. The exceptions are AR, AK, or other military styled firearms that have a pistol grip and detachable magazine, these along with handguns will require either a permit to aqcuire handguns or a permit to carry a pistol. Firearms are not registered in MN, the only place your name will be associated with a firearm is the 4473 form which stays with the dealer in their records and can be destroyed by them after 20 years.

"ATF form 4473 at the point of purchase and a NICS (FBI) background check will be conducted by the dealer, if there are no problems the check takes just a few minutes."

This right there, I won a gun from a raffle (first gun) and went to the dealer to fill out the paper work, apparently there was a problem because it didnt take a just a few minutes. Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out why the hold up, I don't have any felonies, ive never been institutionalized, ive never assualted anybody.....

...does it just plain take longer sometimes?

it can be slowed down if you have any record of any crimes, a common name, a person with a similar name in your area has a history, and a DWI can now slow it too. They only ask if it is a handgun, long gun, or other (frame or reciever) during the check.

I think that many times the delayed status is so the fbi can kind of keep an eye on their employees and just make sure they are doing it right.

SB is right on with his comments.

We get asked "why" whenever there is a delay but you can't get a reply from the fbi. They simply won't give a reason. Just be glad you only got delayed and not denied. I hate telling customers they are denied. Usually the person standing in front of them gets the brunt of their anger. Lol!