• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

when to winterize?... and other related questions

kg25

Hi all,

I got my first boat this year. It's an older 14ft Lund with an '81 2-stroke 9.9 HP Evinrude on it. The boat is kept on a trailer when not in use and stored in my unheated garage when not in use. I plan on doing the winterization steps myself when I get to that point and I have a some questions.

1. How late in the year can I continue to use my boat motor or I guess what temperatures are the limit before I need to winterize?

2. The motor only weighs about 70lbs, is bringing it inside for the winter and putting it in my storage room a good idea?

3. If I do bring it inside for the winter, are there any steps I can skip in winterizing it or should I do all the normal stuff?

4. Any other advice?

This is my first experience with winterizing an outboard, but I have a neighbor who has experience doing his own who said he'd help me out, plus I plan to research all the necessary steps to ensure my motor is properly winterized.

Thanks for your help!

hydro pretty much covered it all. You mentioned that you have the option to put it inside for the winter. I'd highly recommend doing this, as there really is no reason to subject your motor to the rough temperatures/conditions of a MN winter if you don't have to. Also, there is always the possibility that someone tries to steal it as well.

Since this boat is new to you this year, have you changed the lower unit oil at all since you have got it? If not, change it out BEFORE the cold temps come (even if you continue to use it later in the fall beyond the point temps dip below freezing over night). "Why?" you ask? Well, since the motor is new to you and [assuming] you haven't changed the lower unit oil yet, you could possibly have a leaking seal in your lower unit. This would result in there being water in your lower unit oil, which not only causes extra [unnecessary] wear on your gears/bearings/lower unit, but it will also FREEZE if left outside in freezing temps. When water freezes, it expands and has the possibility to crack your lower unit or anything inside it. By changing your lower unit oil BEFORE the cold temps come, you will either; (A) be able to know for sure that you have no lower unit leaks/seal issues [peace of mind] OR (B) be able to identify you have a seal issue and get your old seals replaced prior to when the cold temps come. Once you know you don't have any seal issues/water in the lower unit, then you will have no problem using your boat/motor all winter long. Changing your lower unit oil only costs about $10 and takes 10 minutes and requires a screwdriver and some paper towels (and a pair of surgical rubber gloves also makes the process a lot less messy 2c ).

Once you finally to decide to put it away for the winter, change the lower unit oil again and and fog the motor. I'd also put some Stabil in the gas, or just dump the remaining gas you have in your truck (what I usually do). Then you will be golden and ready to roll come March/April for those early spring pre-spawn hog river walleyes!!! Good luck!

Additionally, here is a thread on Winterizing

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it is not as big a deal as I thought it was. I have not changed the lower unit oil since I have owned the motor so that's a good idea to do it now before it gets too cold out.

I keep it in my garage so I am not too concerned about theft, but keeping it inside during the winter to keep it from the extreme cold is probably what I'll do.

Thanks again.

Good advice so far. I would add:

1. Check the trailer bearings and replace as needed

2. Tighten all screws/bolts throughout the boat

3. Remove the prop and check for line

4. Jack the trailer up to keep the tires off the floor (helps the rubber- read it somewhere and easy enough to do)

5. Charge all batteries

6. Clean out all food remnants

7. Run all gas out of fuel line

Good stuff guys! In addition to the normal winterizing I also pull my batteries and store them in the basement. easy enough in my boat and that way they won't be subject to the freezing temps. Once a month I will put the charger on them to top them off.