• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

private gun sales question

I want to sell my gun, but I don't know the process for doing it the legal way. I've read that all I need to do is create a bill of gun sales form that both parties have to sign. Do the buyer and seller signatures have to be notarized? Besides going to a dealer like G.M. and paying the fees. I had also called a local sports store that deals guns, and the sales person said to just create a bill of gun sales too. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

It would probably be best to get your information directly from the horse's mouth. The St. Paul Police Department could tell you all you want to know.

As far as going to a sporting goods store for the transfer goes, you're not limited to stores, you can go to any FFL holder for the transfer if you choose/ need to go that route. Fees can vary widely, so you might want to call a few places.

I've done quite a few "face to face" transactions... Hand gun, rifles, as well as those icky, nasty black rifles. You know the ones with the shoulder thing that goes up? LOL!!! (That always cracks me up!)

For me, it's a bill of sale that both buyer and seller sign, as well as a copy of the buyer's PTP (permit to purchase) or PTC (permit to carry. I realize these are both required for dealer handgun sales but I require them for ALL private party sales even for long guns. It's a major C.Y.A. and gives me a warm fuzzy knowing I've sold a gun to someone who has been given a green light by "the law".

As stated... For a F-T-F sale, no paperwork is required. But... I'm funny like that. LOL!!

The ancient law of common sense. He hands you money. You hand him the gun. You shake hands (if you like him) and you both walk away. If it makes you feel better you can write up an informal "bill of sale"

This type transaction takes place every day of the week. But you don't know about it....I don't know about it....these other guys here don't know about it.and your cousin doesn't know about it either.

Life is sweet when you keep it simple.

Just write up a bill of sale. Make sure you both sign it and then mail it to yourself. Leave it unopened and keep in a safe place.

It's not necessary but this should take care of any issues/worries you have.

If the gun is ever used in a crime all you have to do is say you sold it. The letter is just a backup plan.

Ive been told just take a pic of the firearm write down the serial number and the buyers name and thats all, maybe just get a signature to be safe as well. if things go wrong and your firearm is part of some criminal activity later on, it can be traced to you but you have proof it was sold