• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Little oil drip?

JBone

i would think so?? Can you see anything obvious working? There are others here that can answer your question better, but is it for sure from the motor or coming from the lower unit? Any chance at all that a different vehicle was parked there and they leaked the oil? Never know, stranger things have happened.

Is it dark 2-stroke oil or 80/90 gear lube?

If it's 2 stroke oil, coming from higher on the motor, check the oil resevior for leaks or the line going to the pump. It could lean your motor if it's the lines somewhere and cause internal motor problems.

If it's 80/90 and it's coming out from behind your prop it would be the seal on the output shaft. The lower unit doesn't hold alot of oil plus water can get in. Not a good thing with bearings, bushings, and gears...

If it's coming from the lower unit, pull the bottom plug and make sure the oil isn't milky. Get it fixed right away if it is the more you use it the worse things will get.

Other then that I can't think of anything.

Coming out above the oil level screw? Your lower unit oil level screw? hmmm, if so I stumped. I can't see how a "hole" would get there but in any case that wouldn't be good (granted we are talking about lower unit oil). But for all other practicle reason, oil coming out ABOVE the oil level line makes me wonder if it's just over filled? I can't see why a boat motor would have a overfill vent drain that would cause for the leak but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.

Just thinking out loud here, does that "hole" have threads? did you loose that screw for the lower unit oil? Most motors I believe have three screws, fill, vent, and level...???maybe two, still thinking out loud..

Oh- and sorry, you should be concerned. Unlike a vehicle, a hole in a motor or system of the motor of a boat is a great opening for water to enter as well, espically below the water line.

So I can see that it is coming from a little hole above the oil level screw. Whats that?

That is a passage to Small area that can possibly hold a small amount of water. The hole is there to drain that area, by design. If it is black and burned smelling, then What you are seeing is unburned gas/oil mix coming down through the exhaust.

Thanks guys, it is not milky and definately lower unit oil. I tilted the motor all the way down and it has stopped leaking out.? Maybe high pressure has pushed it out somehow? Should be solid for the fall season I believe.