• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

to fix or not to fix toro?

mrpike1973

hi this is my dads mower it is a 25 hp toro mower i believe its like a small tractor. the hydro transmission blew up in it parts laying all over. it is 8 years old he has a 48 inch mower deck and a snowblower attachment for it. here is the problem dad doesnt really think about this he just hauled it to the fixer guy could be $2000 to fix they paid $9000 for it my guess is it probably is worth fixing but i told him most mowers are not worth fixing. it least find out what its roughly worth i'm stuck in the middle of this mom wants me to take care of it. i said its there choice but i hate to have them put 2 grand in to something only worth 2000 what would you do and thanks

HOly run-on sentence! I had to read it twice.

Although 2 grand to fix a 2 grand mower seems like a poor economic decision, I would then ask what would it cost to replace? If it would cost even more to replace the mower than to fix it, I see no problem with having the repairs done.

It may not seem cost effective, but with the cost of new being so high, I think repairing it might be the best bet. If it lasts another 5years it will be money well spent. As long as the motor, driveline and deck are in good shape of course.

It may not seem cost effective, but with the cost of new being so high, I think repairing it might be the best bet. If it lasts another 5 years it will be money well spent. As long as the motor, driveline and deck are in good shape of course.

The key here is whether the blown transmission also compromised the rest of the drive train and/or the motor crankshaft. It often happens that way.

At this point, you need to find a trustworthy mechanic to assess matters.