• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So you say you want to catch a flathead catfish eh?

DTro

Using volunteers for tagging help presents some problems. This year has been a struggle just to have dedicated time to be on the rivers. When I fish hoop nets, I fish them all week in the same spot. With all the other things going on this year, I didn't have much time to run hoop nets because of the full week time commitment it requires. I could employ volunteers at times, but then I run into issues with policy, because of the safety requirements for personnel on an electrofishing boat. Would be nice to try and coordinate another angling event with a bunch of people and tagging gear, but that has logistical problems as well.

On a positive note, I made some deep water electrofishing electrodes and have been messing around with it the last month or so. We were able to get some fish this week using those, but I think the real benefit of using that kind of set-up will be realized when the catfish really get into concentrated groups in deep water and we can get dozens of fish at a time. Just need to locate those groups once the water temps dip into the 50 degree range. So if anyone has locations where catfish school up when it gets cold, that would be great to know so I don't have to search every hole in the rivers where I think they MIGHT be. Much better to know they are already there because it may take an hour for the stunned fish to hit the surface.

Joel, are you using low-freq, pulsed-DC for that deepwater shocking? I got to tag along with Virginia Game and Fish when they did deepwater shocking on the James River, it was pretty unbelievable.

and have you seen the stuff from WI-DNR, sampling Wolf River flatheads with SCUBA in the winter? pretty cool stuff!

I know where they are schooled right now Joel, but I want to catch a bunch before you zap em. smile

Hopefully they stay there for a while. Walleye fingerling harvest and stocking is starting up next week and I don't know if I'll be able to get out to tag catfish again this year or not.

Joel, are you using low-freq, pulsed-DC for that deepwater shocking? I got to tag along with Virginia Game and Fish when they did deepwater shocking on the James River, it was pretty unbelievable.

and have you seen the stuff from WI-DNR, sampling Wolf River flatheads with SCUBA in the winter? pretty cool stuff!

Yes I have seen that SCUBA video. I thought that was cool. I just need to find spots like that on the St Croix and Pool 2 and I'm in business (assuming I can find someone to dive for free).

The deep water electrofishing I am playing with is using standard 60 Hz pulses. Low frequency electrofishing works in most of the rivers around here, but it doesn't work very well in the St Croix, and that is where I'm having the hardest time getting numbers of fish to tag. I think the water conductvitiy is too low. I shock places on the St Croix that I am convinced should have fish, but I think they are just deep enough where I can't transfer the power to the fish. So I started messing with these electrodes I made. Hutchinson does some deep water shocking and have been successful in cooler water. I was trying to apply the technique to warmer water to increase my catch. Results are pending. Seems to be helping.

Joel,

It is great to get the perspectives from a DNR employee on here and I want to thank you for reaching out. I love the DNR HSOforum but this site allows you to be more personable and it's a good way to connect with the fishing community. It's not every day we can interact with you guys and get your perspectives on our natural resources.