• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I Add a Battery and Charging System to My '92 Arctic Cat Panther?

quijibo

I finally purchased an ice fishing sled. It's an '92 Arctic Cat Panther with a Suzuki 440 fan. It's in great shape, but I want to add a few mods; I would like to have a battery system, studs and maybe carbides. The first mod is for my GPS and possibly charging my batteries. The other two mods are because the lake I frequent here always seems to have a lot of slush underneath the snow.

Does anyone have any ideas on a cost effective way to do these mods? I'm new to snowmobiles, kind of weird that I waited until I left Mn to get one.

Thanks,

Adam

P.S. To the mods; Feel free to move this to Expert Information Forum if you need to.

I can't help with the battery, but can give some info I learned. I have had sleds for about 3-4 years now, and use them for trail riding and ice fishing pulling portables. One of my sleds has studs, and it is nice on early ice when the snowpack isn't thick yet.

For the slush, here is the best advice I have gotten, and use it every time out, in slush or not. When you stop, make sure to circle around at least once, but I do it a couple times, where you want to stop. That way, you are on slightly packed snow giving better traction under the track when you want to take off. It also helps you to see any slush pockets a bit better. It also means you are not going to try to push snow out of your way when you take off. Since doing this, I have never been stuck even on my two sled without studs.

If you are in area with deeper slush, or you know the holes you drill will bring up water, then I park the sled about 10-15 yards away from where I will fish, to help keep it up out of the incoming slush wink That has helped tons.

The first time had my two-up out and got into slush in early season, I thought I was going to die getting that thing out. Don't want to expereince that again, ha! Have fun!

You could porbably strap a Vex battery under the hood somewhere and use that for power. I have not done it yet but, "ski skins" should help the snow and slush from sticking to the skis. making a circle before parking is a very good idea. when you make a circle you will see the snow soak up the water if there is slush underneath. First time out last year, I froze down- only one on the lake. not fun at all.

Well one part you have already is the 12v charging system. Your best bet is to find a used electric start for it. That way you are plug an play. Hay days is this weekend. Huge swap. you may find it there. or search the internet for it. Maybe try hsolist. This would be your best option to take. For it's been for ever since I've taped into a cat wiring harness. But if I recall on that model the voltage regulator should be on the right side of the machine down by the foot stur-rup. should be 13.5v there while running. Think they are yellow wires.