• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In Search of Bulls

hawgTime

Recently moved here and last winter was the first time I've ever caught Sunnies through the ice. It's a blast and I'm hooked, but now I would like to catch some bulls. I would appreciate any suggestions about lakes that have the potential of producing some big sunnies. Thanks

shk.gif

hawgTime

[This message has been edited by hawgTime (edited 11-28-2002).]

I think Bull Sunnies are one of the most exciting fish to catch! They are great fun to pull in on light tackle and just plain beautiful to look at!

I think most people consider a 10" or larger a "Bull" and they're whereabouts are kept very secret with most guys who find them. The reason is simple....Sunfish are about the best tasting fish your gonna find and the big ones will disappear in hurry if overfished.

I heard something awhile back about a group of "Bull" hunters. They had a name for the club but I don't recall what it was now. They have their spots and they keep them secret. They take good care of the fish too....No harvest of the big ones, Only memories.

I know one thing....Don't overlook small little known lakes that don't see many people. I only know of a few but if I find any more, It will be because I looked.

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Dark30, Your exactly right! The old timers
I talk to are allways happy to tell you where and when the eyes were
on the bite ( you still have to catch em wink.gif )
But they will never give up the info on the panfish honey hole. I too have found some great big bulls on unnamed lakes that people just consider farmers ponds or swamps. Now they can be a huge pain in the but to get to but its worth it when your there. I dont even need to mark those spots on the G.P.S , they are forever burned onto my brain. I wont even take friends there out of fear of what might happen to the fishing. And now that my sons are getting old enough to remember directions and places we've gone I think I might have to start blindfolding them grin.gif

WCM named my top 3, with the exception of Lindsay Lake near Backus. They tug some 11" gills out of there in the winter with some 13" Crappies too. You're fishing about 13-17 ft. of water if I remember right (havn't been on there in 7 years) but I know they still produce bull gills and slab Crappies, especially at early ice.

Maggots is the key on this lake.

PCG

I just came back from a sunfish run to that area. I fished Lindsey it normally produces but the other day it didn't. Lindsey lake is one of those lakes that does produce bull-gills in that 1lb range but it is a fragile fishery. If you ever get into them keep a few for a meal and release some for the future. The ice thickness was 6 inches of solid ice.

I know where to catch some BULLS, at Cabelas in Owatonna. I was down there last week. The fish they have in those tanks are amazing. WOW! They have some 3lb Crappies in there also. A guy can dream....

bullTime

Dark30 said it well. Not many people want to give away the real gems. These are the small lakes that produce Bulls. They do exist but you will never hear one mentioned. Just for the fact that it wouldn't last. However, there are several larger lakes that produce bull gills, most of which have been mentioned already.

I takes a really long time to grow a 10" gill in Minnesota, so as Ice Hawk said, keep a few but let the trophies live. Scott Steil