• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak Registration

So I bought a kayak that is 8'3" My friend bought the same one and someone at Cabelas and our City hall told him he needs to register it. I just looked in the 2011 Boating safety guide and looked in the What needs to be registered section and in the Exceptions it says "non motorized boat 9 feet in length or less". So am I missing te catch or what?

I believe it is 9' or longer that needs registration. Don't necessarily believe word of mouth. If you are still worried, check with the DNR and ask them to verify by checking the regs if they tell you otherwise.

Had to register my inflatable Kayaks, they measured and stated they were just over 9' and had to fork it over. And they don`t have any answers about what happens to the stickers after deflating them. Had to come up with my own idea. Industrial strength Velcro and a plastic coffee can.

Cut the plastic and place the sticker on one side and velcro on the backside and place the reverse velcro on the Kayak. Has worked out great for the last 3 years.

Pictures of how I did it

I took it in to this county registration place up in Duluth that's basically the DMV, county permitting, and motorcraft registration place. If you called the DNR or went on their HSOforum you could figure it out real quick.

That's to get the kayak registered. It's a 3 year permit for $25. Idk if you're planning on going out too much more this year being september and all. I'd almost consider holding off on registration till next year and risking it. Then again, I'm on a college budget so $25 might not be too difficult for some of the other members on the board haha

I live on the ND/MN state line in Grand Forks, will I need to register in MN to put a kayak on a MN lake or will a ND registration be recognized? I'm not sure what the ND regs say yet about kayaks, I'm planning on purchasing a OK Trident 13' Angler soon, so will be investigating some on this issue.

I live on the ND/MN state line in Grand Forks, will I need to register in MN to put a kayak on a MN lake or will a ND registration be recognized? I'm not sure what the ND regs say yet about kayaks, I'm planning on purchasing a OK Trident 13' Angler soon, so will be investigating some on this issue.

It would appear from the ND standpoint, that you only have to register a motorized craft, so I'm thinking I will definitely be registering in MN to test the waters there.