• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

water in trolling motor

chuckwagon

I tore apart my minn kota bow mount last night and found a burnt up melted wire running through the shaft ... the motor quit on me while fishing so I ripped er down. While taking apart the lower unit, I pulled the long bolts out that holds everything from behind the prop to the nose cone together. When I pulled the first one, water poured out the hole (enough to fill the entire lower unit). My question is ... this area should be sealed correct? there should not be any water getting in there? I am guessing a seal or o ring is gone or in really bad condition. I am new to trolling motors so any imput would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Thanks truth .... I re wired the motor and it actually still works. Just have track down a seal or o ring .... Would marine cylicone work fine too? Or that rbk gasket maker work? Not sure of the name of it

I would get the proper o-ring or seal rather than 1/2 butt a quick a fix. It's cheap but you might be out of commission for couple days tracking one down.

I had the same issue on my Minn Kota about 2 years ago. A quick call to their customer service line and I had the complete seal kit sent to me (as well as a complete diagram of my specific trolling motor emailed to me so I knew how everything went together) for under $10. The seals were sitting on my door step a couple days later and I was back on the water a few days after that. The only thing is, it can be difficult to put the motor back together unless you know exactly what you are doing. I see you are in Chaska. I would recommend ordering the seal kit yourself and then bringing it into Motor Clinic in Bloomington. They can put it back together correctly for you and have it tested in a water tank to make sure you fixed the issue. It is very cheap to have done and gives you peace of mind that the fix was done 100% correctly. If you ever fish in below freezing temps (late late fall), you will quickly find out if you have a seal issue or not. The water froze in my lower unit and I was unable to use my trolling motor at all. Lesson learned. Always remove line from the prop ASAP if you get it tangled in there.

I replaced my seals a few weeks ago a couple of tips. Make sure you have the center tube on the right way, 180 degrees will make it run backwards. There is a small almost invisible line on the tube, line it up with the skeg on your motor. Also the stator inside the motor, make sure the ends are clean, take some steel wool or a wire wheel and clean it until you can see the copper color. I would agree that motor clinic in bloomington is very good, give them a call if you have any problems. They are more than happy to help you out.