• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Black Slabs are biting!!!

Lets quit draggin' our feet and get some Crappie talk going here. I know plenty of you anglers got Crappie lips of your own. Let's get her going here folks.

Crappies in my area are starting to see the light of spring, with fish moving into 1-3 feet of water. Most of males have begun to turn black finally, and water temps seem to be in the low to mid 50's for the most part.

Mainlake action remains good, but only in the deeper water, as shallow fish are finding the mudbottom "cuts" to feed and binge on.

PCG

yes
Pro Crappie Guide the males have moved into shallower water with a few females. black as the ace of spades any where from a foot and a half to three foot. They are very agressive, but dont hit a bettlespin, crappie minnow and jig/plain hook! any pointers on artifical baits? grin.gif

------------------
Get 'er done

little early for the "hot bite " in my area...waters still in the 40's...certainly not condusive for the crappie spawning thing...crazy weather anyhow...suppose to warm up into the mid 60's to 70 this up coming week...but grey and rainy.....we need the sun's rays in those shallows...or.....won't bring in the crappies...one of those years i guess...the waiting game...lol........jon

8-20 feet? Heck-- I caught my limit yesterday on Nokomis off the shore (not even from the dock) in about 4 feet of water and 5 feet from shore. They were jumping after some nats that came out-- but they were taking minnows too. Nothing huge-- all around 7-8" ea; but big enough. But I guess it generally goes to say southern and metro lakes warm up faster than Northern ones.

Good luck, and good Crappie Huntin'

Alrighty then!!!!!

Here in central Minnesota the Crappies are using the lake as a hiding place.

ok then. That was some good advice.

Crappies here are ranging from the old reeds all the way out to 30 feet of water yet. I have even found a few on beds. So it looks like the action should gitty-up here pretty soon.

Some bluegills have made their way shallow...but mainly small fish so far.

If ya get out and get er' up on a plane, and slay a few slabs let us know!

thanks again,

PCG

well.......just got off the lake...little crappie hole by hibbing...ordinarily by this time of year ,i would have been floating a few fillets in a pan of grease....not....had my canoe out early this morning paddled in the reeds....lots of minnows have moved in right up next to the warm water next to the over hanging alder brush....even saw a couple largemouth "swirl" a foot from shore...that water is COLD.....nothing that resembles a crappie in the shallows yet...not on this lake...just gotta warm up yet....but ....it's the first time i've been able to get out one on one with the canoe ...jut enjoyed being out there ...enjoying the loons...watching the leaves starting to form on the trees .....no ...not many leaves yet here in hibbing....just a nice sunny day ....been a long winter....better crappie days are coming....jon

HAVEN'T GOTTEN OUT THIS WEEKENDYET BUT WILL TRY IT TOMORROW. i'VE HAD PRETTY GOOD LUCK IN THE ALEXANDRIA AREA FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS THOUGH. THROWING ALL OF THE FAMALES BACK SO I CAN KEEP CATCHING THEIR LITTLE ONES IN THE YEARS TO COME smile.gif. BEEN GETTING 10-15 11 INCH MALES A TRIP. LOTS OF FUN.