• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cost-4 stroke motor

Huskie

Last year I picked up a 02 sportfish 1750, with a 125 merc, same year, one of those 2+2 models. I've had no issues with the motor, but I'm considering changing out the motor and going the 4 stroke route. In the past I've always bought or sold the entire rig together. What is the best way to go about this, trade in the motor on a 4 stroke or sell it outright myself. Any idea how much money the upgrade would cost me, going with a new or newer 4 stroke about the same HP or perhaps a little bigger? I'm in southern Mn., south of Mankato and dealers that one would recommend? Or I could haul the rig anywhere to save some cash. Thanks,

Best bet is to contact a dealer. They will be able to give you accurate numbers.

Most dealers will take a trade in, if it means selling a new motor.

I looked at repowering my 2 stroke 150 hp with a 4 stroke 175. The motor went for about 15 with all the rigging, and they offered me about 4 for a trade in. Its expensive.

Best advice is to be sure you really want to keep that boat for a long time before you repower, as you will be throwing good money at bad.

Well, there is a reason they call them "stealerships".

All kidding aside, I might suggest buying a used 4-stroke, and selling the 2-stoke yourself.

If you do the rigging yourself, you save alot. If not, there are many places that can do the rigging the cheaper.

Of course, I do not have to mention the benefits of having the dealership do the rigging.